Sony Disc Drive Walkmans

429CV23

Feb 12, 2020
In the 80s I had a silver/brushed Sony WM-F100 which was an awesome walkman, Like a dumbass I threw it away 4-5yrs ago since it no longer worked. Had the AA adapter as well. :bang: :bang: Wish I knew then what I know now about replacing belts, calibrations, etc.!

I've used later model Sonys to play mix tapes in the car and motorhome; WM-FX671 and WM-F100iii; both have been listed on an auction site. I just significantly dislike the gumstick batteries. I have an AA adapter for the 671, but those can be very position-finicky. Sony had some really nice models, but unfortunately require the remote, and some of those have integrated headphones which requires fabbing an adapter to use a standard 1/8" plug. I have several WM-EX909s which sound great (separate play heads for each direction) but have problematic micro-pinch rollers which are NLA.

I recently sourced a WM-DD30 and a WM-DD33; the 30 has been fully reconditioned, the 33 has not, but plays/works beautifully. There really is no comparison of any other portable to the DD series, especially the DDIII and beyond with their quartz locked speed. W/F is extremely low; sound quality is excellent. The bass boost system is good, especially the 30's, but using MTX headphones I find no need to use the boost. Nearly all my mixes are initially recorded on Nakamichi 682ZX, ZX-7, ZX-9, or CR-7A, copies are made going from a Nak Dragon to one of the other decks. 99% of the time the master is a Type IV recorded at 120usec and no noise reduction. Copies are recorded on Type II at 70usec with no noise reduction, or on a Type I with no noise reduction. All of them sound fantastic on the DD series.

I refurbed a WM-2 which sounds excellent as well, but with significant movement you can hear the W/F.

Anyone else using the DD series walkman?