Most of My Collection

smodghepodghe

Jul 11, 2019
Everything except Panasonic RX-DT95 (cleaned, awaiting new fabric woofer surrounds and tape door motor gear: both obtained), Toshiba RT-S90 (rough cosmetics, need to go back and figure out connection points for IF sweep to fix no-stereo issue, recapped most of tuner, amp, and preamp board, needs belts and epoxy some broken plastic bits within deck) and JVC PC-X300 (Cleaned, replaced lamps,needs torsion spring for pause button). Almost all mine need belts. The Aiwa Strasser had lamps replaced, CD player laser calibrated, but has intermittent short in left audio output. The black Panasonic RX-DT9 has a cracked display window courtesy of my ham-handed attempt to free and clean the crevices (rubbing alcohol is plastic's enemy). Hitachi TRK-9150 is a joy, and my favorite at the moment. Clean, strong amps, a little forward sounding, but great well balanced sound, and fast enough reactions for modern electronic music. The JVC RC-838JW had volume sliders reassembled and sounds okay. I missed the one I had in the late 90s (paid $10 at a garage sale at that time. This one was a multiple of that price,lol). The JVC RC-M70 had both tone sliders reassembled (dang failed feeler adhesive), and new antennas jury-rigged to the crumbling plastic mounting sleeves inside. It's a survivor, but it's the loudest of all I have, and talk about FM selectivity with the JVCs. Some of my audio receivers can't hang with these guys! The Pink DT-9 was painted by previous owner, and tweeters replaced with Diatones. I think they knew what they were doing as they added cap and resistor, as well as printing clear labels for all the buttons, placed over the paint. The Goldstar TSR-800 sounds better than the M70 (probably the ebigger woofers) over the lower 30% of it's volume. It distorts easily unless I dial the loudness/bass back when I crank it. The AKAI PJ-W17 has been neglected since I obtained it and discovered the batteries violently freed themselves by breaking all retention tabs during transit. Needs passive surrounds. Shame as it's little bro the PJ-35 with replaced passive surrounds sounds really good considering its size. AKAIs of this series are tanks. Both cassette players still work!

The picture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vs1G4aqV943iBt3S8

BTW, thanks to the site for being here, and contributors I've learned so much from. I'll entertain requests for video comparos, advice, opinions, etc. It's the least I can do. Thanks!

And I've got a Sanyo M9994 coming now. I'll see if it unseats the TRK-9150!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
smodghepodghe said:
The Goldstar TSR-800 sounds better than the M70 (probably the ebigger woofers) over the lower 30% of it's volume. It distorts easily unless I dial the loudness/bass back when I crank it.
Yep, the Goldstar sounds warmer at low volume, but the M70 has more power and goes much louder.

smodghepodghe said:
The M9994 is one of my favorites. Its controls feel fantastic. Much more accurate mids & treble than a TRK-9150. But the TRK-9150 has more bass and hits harder.

smodghepodghe

Jul 11, 2019
Thank you for you comment! Glad to be a part!

Reli said:
The Goldstar TSR-800 sounds better than the M70 (probably the ebigger woofers) over the lower 30% of it's volume. It distorts easily unless I dial the loudness/bass back when I crank it.
Yep, the Goldstar sounds warmer at low volume, but the M70 has more power and goes much louder.

smodghepodghe said:
The M9994 is one of my favorites. Much more accurate mids & treble than a TRK-9150. But the TRK-9150 has more bass and hits harder.
I am so glad you said that. Thank you. I thought maybe I was fooling myself that the M9994 could be better in any meaningful way, as they're both high quality late 70's boxes. I admit I paid too little for the Hitachi, and more than I'm proud of for the Sanyo. Hope that doesn't sway me when I can get them side by side!

RETRO-SYNTH

Member (SA)
Jan 29, 2020
The Akai PJ swiveling-speaker box models are so cool. They look like little surface-to-air missile launchers, but the missiles are EXPLOSIVE SOUND

smodghepodghe

Jul 11, 2019
The swiveling speakers are definitely one of the reasons I like these ones too. I never thought about it that way, but it kinda does look like missile launchers!

elezaregilsja

Oct 31, 2019
Everything except Panasonic RX-DT95 (cleaned, awaiting new fabric woofer surrounds and tape door motor gear: both obtained), Toshiba RT-S90 (rough cosmetics, need to go back and figure out connection points for IF sweep to fix no-stereo issue, recapped most of tuner, amp, and preamp board, needs belts and epoxy some broken plastic bits within deck) and JVC PC-X300 (Cleaned, replaced lamps,needs torsion spring for pause button). Almost all mine need belts. The Aiwa Strasser had lamps replaced, CD player laser calibrated, but has intermittent short in left audio output. The black Panasonic RX-DT9 has a cracked display window courtesy of my ham-handed attempt to free and clean the crevices (rubbing alcohol is plastic's enemy). Hitachi TRK-9150 is a joy, and my favorite at the moment. Clean, strong amps, a little forward sounding, but great well balanced sound, and fast enough reactions for modern electronic music. The JVC RC-838JW had volume sliders reassembled and sounds okay. I missed the one I had in the late 90s (paid $10 at a garage sale at that time. This one was a multiple of that price,lol). The JVC RC-M70 had both tone sliders reassembled (dang failed feeler adhesive), and new antennas jury-rigged to the crumbling plastic mounting sleeves inside. It's a survivor, but it's the loudest of all I have, and talk about FM selectivity with the JVCs. Some of my audio receivers can't hang with these guys! The Pink DT-9 was painted by previous owner, and tweeters replaced with Diatones. I think they knew what they were doing as they added cap and resistor, as well as printing clear labels for all the buttons, placed over the paint. The Goldstar TSR-800 sounds better than the M70 (probably the ebigger woofers) over the lower 30% of it's volume. It distorts easily unless I dial the loudness/bass back when I crank it. The AKAI PJ-W17 has been neglected since I obtained it and discovered the batteries violently freed themselves by breaking all retention tabs during transit. Needs passive surrounds. Shame as it's little bro the PJ-35 with replaced passive surrounds sounds really good considering its size. AKAIs of this series are tanks. Both cassette players still work!

The picture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vs1G4aqV943iBt3S8

BTW, thanks to the site for being here, and contributors I've learned so much from. I'll entertain requests for video comparos, advice, opinions, etc. It's the least I can do. Thanks!

Hello, where can I buy fabric woofer surrounds for the Cobra RX-DT95?
also is it possible to find a service manual for this model?

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
That red egg is cum material nice collection dude...is it a dt9 if so cracking job

i don't like harassing people but if you want to sell just name you're price lol

Last edited: