Goldstar 800 deck controls

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Got an issue with the tape control buttons not staying in position when you engage them. Play will sometimes stick ok, but mostly pops out after a few seconds. FF & RW not staying put at all. Pretty new to this game, so all I can think of (and see to do) is laying on some grease on the sliding bits. I don't see how that will cure the problem though. Hope someone can set me right.
gstar800 002.jpg

This mech is quite a beast with 5 belts going on. Also has some little lever things I noticed that sway up and down when the unit plays, reminds me a bit of nodding donkeys. What's all that about? The heads move into position via a partially toothed gear - there's a couple of these - you can see in the pic below. Would love to know what this type of mechanism is and a few pointers as to how it works, very different from anything I've encountered.
gstar800 001.jpg
Thanks guys

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Lack of grease was the problem. Grease is the word!
Only thing record button won't go in when it's all assembled - fine when the control buttons are detached though. Headache.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Nickeccles said:
The Nodding Donkeys are the Full Auto Stop mechanism monitoring the 2 reels that engage with the tape! Correct behaviour & a clever idea!
Cheers Nick! now all I have to do is work out how to fix the over tightened aerial pivot thread. Any ideas?