Which boxes have vertical 'slim' cassette controls?

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
I'm trying to track down an early 80's silver box, the cassette controls were tall and thin rather than the flat and square type.

Do any makes or models come to mind, similar to this General Electric?

Attachments

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
Thanks for the reply, it was nearly 40 years ago but here goes;
One piece
Not sure on needles or LEDs
Single aerial
Single deck
No idea on brand but top end
Mid to large size
Knobs, not sliders
I'm thinking maybe Sanyo,JVC, Panasonic, Crown, if I remember the woofers were silver.
It's like looking for a needle in a haystack, but appreciate your input very much.
P.S. The cassette keys were serated or knurled at the base and servo'd, hope this helps.
P.P.S. That Aiwa looks close :-) but chrome bezels.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I can't remember the model of the Panasonic with white speakers , might have been a 5080 5095 not sure but its silver with black in the middle and its a mid sized box.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
DPaignall said:
Panasonic RX-5150
Amazing - fantastic - thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDi3-VibEKI

Used to caretake the box for my school in 1982 - carried it home every day to make compilation tapes from the radio. used it in music class and the common room.

What a great forum - has anyone anyone got one for sale?

Good to have been able to ID it.
There are plenty of these for sale on EBay. Avoid the super pricey ones, it’s just sellers looking to exploit new collectors or nostalgic buyers looking to find their childhood boxes.
There’s no reason to pay more than up to $170 for this box.

Good luck.

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
Thanks again - very impressive knowledge. I'm in the UK and have been scouring ebay for this box for a few months but have yet to see one over here. Have serendipitously found some 'grails' - all for less than £20 - have no intention of paying silly money, but admit there may be a small nostalgic premium in this case!

DPaignall

Member (SA)
Dec 8, 2019
jameswp67 said:
What grails have you found? It’s always fun to hear people’s stories of acquisitions
Sony FH7 - seller didn't know if worked because he didn't have a power lead, I did, and it does!
Panasonic DT680 covered in paint splashes, JVC B90 leaving black gunk everywhere, JVC 656LB rattling with loose parts. All bought for spares/repairs restored now looking and sounding great! Also a few non grails JVC x720, Panasonic CT900, JVC 9475, Crown SZ 5100, Panasonic RXED50 all in horrible condition but cheap, now all working and restored :-)