Increase VU Meter Sensititvity?

vermouth

Member (SA)
Aug 15, 2018
Brazil & USA
It seems like you really need to be at a high volume before the VU meters start to work, on my 838 at least. Is there any way to increase their sensitivity, or to get them to react at lower volume levels?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Just insert a blank tape and press Record, and adjust the Rec Level sliders until the meters move like you want. On that model you don't need to press Record + Play to accomplish that. Just Record.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Reli said:
Just insert a blank tape and press Record, and adjust the Rec Level sliders until the meters move like you want. On that model you don't need to press Record + Play to accomplish that. Just Record.
I think he is referring to play back mode. I could be wrong!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
True but he could also be talking about Tuner and Aux modes, because he says he needs to raise the volume to make the meters move. That's why I leave the Record key down in that situation. Then you can make the meters dance regardless of the volume level.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Not that this applies to absolutely every boombox, but on every boombox schematic that I've seen, meter adjustment pots only exist on one channel, and the adjustment is merely intended to match the other channel. In other words, one channel is fixed, and the other channel is adjusted to match the level of the other fixed channel in order to compensate for any imbalance in the way the meters swing with a mono signal.

vermouth

Member (SA)
Aug 15, 2018
Brazil & USA
Oh, nice. Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'm set :D

While I have the experts' ears, is there a simple way to wire the VU backlights so they're always on too?

I'll post a thread on my 838 restore when I'm done.