• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,976 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

Indeed - an air core coil right next to a screw hole, that's just asking for trouble!

#32 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,877 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

Hmm.  Somebody took a short-cut, cut off the diode from the top side, and replaced it by soldering a new diode by tying the leads to the old snipped leads instead of just installing it right.  Diodes in tuners are usually quite specific.  Wonder whether it was a compatible replacement since there's no SM, no parts list, and diodes are usually very difficult to identify as they often don't have markings.  It's not an uncommon repair technique to snip and tie, but usually only on very difficult or poor access repairs and really on a repair like this, shouldn't have been prohibitively difficult to access the rear.  Probably lazy.

#33 hopey

hopey
  • Members (SA)
  • 409 posts
  • LocationMelb AU

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

It makes me wonder if you re-sweated the original IC's on the board would that have fixed the problem?

As this has been worked on before maybe static could have fried the chips?

#34 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,094 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:17 AM

It makes me wonder if you re-sweated the original IC's on the board would that have fixed the problem?

As this has been worked on before maybe static could have fried the chips?

I had crawled over all three of these boards with magnifying glasses, I did resolder a few points, but these looked ok.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tuner, board, diagnosing, repair, problems, lasonic, 920