Photo

Sharp WQ-T351 noisy motor. Stuck on FFW/REW. Wow and flutter.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Boomboxholic

Boomboxholic
  • Members (SA)
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:49 AM

Hello everyone. Recently I was thinking of restoring my boombox (Sharp WQ-T351) and starting by making the tape speed stable which is not.
There is not enough power/tension on the spools when it comes on FFW or Rewind and stuck. Has a lot of wow/flatter when playing back a tape. Due to the noisy motor, I assume the actuall problem is the motor.

*Note* I have replaced the belt.

I need a bit of a help on finding a new replacment motor and connecting it properly. 
This the old motor:
0sNlFC7.jpg

And this one is the new replacment I found on Ebay:

M9JniDq.jpg

On the Original motor I can see there are four connections - + H L, on the replacment one there is - + B A connections, which is a bit confusing. Am unsure on what is the correct polarity between H L and B A on the new motor.

#2 Boomboxholic

Boomboxholic
  • Members (SA)
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:20 AM

Here is a short demostration video of the motor noise.

#3 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,877 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 09 December 2019 - 09:21 PM

Does it have a big heavy flywheel or is it a thin sheetmetal looking thing?  I have seen in cases where the flywheel is thin, it relies on a spring loaded friction pad to smooth out the WF and if it gets old, the friction effect doesn't work as originally intended.  Obviously not a great design.  Thick heavy flywheels by their very nature dampens the WF.  Might want to look into which design is there.

#4 Boomboxholic

Boomboxholic
  • Members (SA)
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

Does it have a big heavy flywheel or is it a thin sheetmetal looking thing?  I have seen in cases where the flywheel is thin, it relies on a spring loaded friction pad to smooth out the WF and if it gets old, the friction effect doesn't work as originally intended.  Obviously not a great design.  Thick heavy flywheels by their very nature dampens the WF.  Might want to look into which design is there.

Its this one :wLpGvGV.jpgThis one is from the WQ-204. Its the exact same mechanism.