Sharp WQ-T351 noisy motor. Stuck on FFW/REW. Wow and flutter.

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
Hello everyone. Recently I was thinking of restoring my boombox (Sharp WQ-T351) and starting by making the tape speed stable which is not.
There is not enough power/tension on the spools when it comes on FFW or Rewind and stuck. Has a lot of wow/flatter when playing back a tape. Due to the noisy motor, I assume the actuall problem is the motor.

*Note* I have replaced the belt.

I need a bit of a help on finding a new replacment motor and connecting it properly.
This the old motor:

And this one is the new replacment I found on Ebay:

On the Original motor I can see there are four connections - + H L, on the replacment one there is - + B A connections, which is a bit confusing. Am unsure on what is the correct polarity between H L and B A on the new motor.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Does it have a big heavy flywheel or is it a thin sheetmetal looking thing? I have seen in cases where the flywheel is thin, it relies on a spring loaded friction pad to smooth out the WF and if it gets old, the friction effect doesn't work as originally intended. Obviously not a great design. Thick heavy flywheels by their very nature dampens the WF. Might want to look into which design is there.

Boomboxholic

Member (SA)
Jan 12, 2019
Superduper said:
Does it have a big heavy flywheel or is it a thin sheetmetal looking thing? I have seen in cases where the flywheel is thin, it relies on a spring loaded friction pad to smooth out the WF and if it gets old, the friction effect doesn't work as originally intended. Obviously not a great design. Thick heavy flywheels by their very nature dampens the WF. Might want to look into which design is there.
Its this one :
This one is from the WQ-204. Its the exact same mechanism.