Hitachi TRK 3D80E

Geoff78

Member (SA)
Dec 5, 2019
Hello everyone.

New to the forum and joined because I need your help please.
I’ve just bought an Hitachi 3D80 and it needs some attention.
Firstly, the decks won’t play a tape. Guessing the belts are broken. Does anyone know where I can get them from in the UK?

Secondly, the aerial is snapped and I’d like to replace it. Again, any suggestions for me here would be good.

I’d also like to know if there are any cool mods. I’d like to add Bluetooth if possible, better battery setup maybe.

Looking forward to your replies.

Cheers

Geoff.

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Welcome to BoomBoxery, Geoff. You should be getting messages of some sort from other members before long.

Now, I suppose that the motors in your ‘3D80E are working, revving up when you try playing a cassette and so on – that they haven’t burnt out or aren’t somehow jammed?

And one must also ask: aren’t there any competent repairers of analog electronics such as 1980s boomboxes within, oh, fifty miles of where you live in the UK? (Could save you from being overwhelmed by a “do it yourself” attempt.)

And one also wonders: do the tape-deck rubber belts for your find by Hitachi have to sold by and shipped from a UK seller? There are several vendors of hobbyist rubber belt kits on eBay. Some of them would certainly be honest, competent sellers offering good products, even if they don’t live in Merrie England. But you’ve got scheduling concerns, I suppose. The sooner you receive the package of parts, the better, eh?

In that case, one can suggest the eBay seller cnh _ 03 (government name: Charles Holt, based in Lincolnshire; eBay member since April 2004). The seller apparently is apparently trusted by a large number of customers specifically seeking tape-deck rubber belts (or “hobbyist rubber belt kits,” at any rate). There seems to be no negative feedback rating of that member as a seller in the last year or so. A trustworthy fellow? One would hope so. The rubber bands this products of his has just might be what you need:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/61mm-77mm-Flat-Rubber-Drive-Belt-for-Cassette-Decks-etc-PACK-OF-FIVE/193136754341?hash=item2cf7d8fea5:g:HGYAAOSwOZddlJmO

(A search term of “Cassette Deck belts” on eBay.co.uk will fetch reasonable results. Of course, one would still have to do due diligence, very carefully measuring the needed belts if they haven’t “gone to goo” inside the stereo.)

The price of the one tape-deck rubber belt kit that the eBayer cnh _ 03 is selling seems cheap: £3.75 (about US$4.85, according to a quick Google check). Of course, financial and emotional cost will rack up pretty quickly if one orders the wrong size or type of rubber belts (flat belts versus squared belts, etc.). So, again, one has to be careful. Oh, and the aerial (“antenna”) should be replaceable with a vintage Hitachi spare on eBay (if you happen upon one) or replaceable with a new, generic unit on Amazon.

Must dash now; running rather late for an important meeting. Take care.

Helmar

Inactive (Delete)
Dec 21, 2015
Hamburg, Germany
Merry Christmas!

I would recommend to buy a set of 50 or 80 belts that can be easily found cheap on ebay.
As you can see on the picture you need 2 smaller and 2 larger belts.
Bluetooth is possible without changing to much. The unit has already a line-in port.
Batteries: I won't change anything and buy good D-cells like 10000mAH from Ansmann or similar.

Where are you located?

Best regards
Helmar

Attachments