Anybody know where I can find a tweeter for a JVC M90 mine just stopped working

#2 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:58 PM

hi boomboxfinder

Check the resistance of the tweeter across its + and - terminals with a volt meter in ohms to see if it is indeed open. If it reads resistance (4/8 ohms) then it could very well be the filter cap is open supplying the feed to the tweeter and these can be picked up at any electronics store.

#3 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:22 PM

I would test the tweeter by itself first bypassing the filter caps but don't give it too much power, just enough to hear if it works. Make sure you disconnect the tweeter from the rest of the box so you dont take any chances.

You can also use a multi meter to check the tweeter at the terminal , if the impedance is close to spec then its probably still good.

#4 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,271 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:58 PM

hi boomboxfinder

Check the resistance of the tweeter across its + and - terminals with a volt meter in ohms to see if it is indeed open. If it reads resistance (4/8 ohms) then it could very well be the filter cap is open supplying the feed to the tweeter and these can be picked up at any electronics store.

You have to buy Bipolar caps! 

#5 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,877 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:25 PM

Forget bipolar caps, the M90 used polyester film caps on the M90, those might be harder to find locally & it’s doubtful they went bad because they are probably 250V caps so blown tweeter is more likely.