Solid State Batteries

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
You've probably heard of Solid State in electronic devices back when the vacuum tubes were on their way out. We now have SSD's (solid state drives) versus the good old platter spinning mechanical HDDs (Hard Disk Drive) in computers to speed them up. Now we are moving to Solid State Batteries! Batteries are about the make the same transition.

This new technological breakthrough is going to be as huge as going from tubes to the transistor. I am truly excited about this. Can you imagine how long a boombox could run on one of these things? 15,000 to 23,000 charge cycles compared to our 500 to 1,000 now! It is an exciting time to be alive.

I know not everyone is into the long drawn out chemistry behind this newly developed technology but it is right around the corner and will change our lives as we know it. It is not required that you understand what is going on here. Only to know that not only is this going to change what our new gadgets and devices can do... but our way of life.

For those interested I'm posting a link.

I love using the internet to educate myself and learn. I need a bigger skull and a brain extension unit to house all of this information :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPh2879pyw0

Superduper

Member (SA)
Yeah, might want to temper that enthusiasm for the foreseeable future. It might be a reality we see in the future, but it’s not clear it’ll be anytime soon. In 2012, apparently a 20AH SS battery costs $100k usd to produce and while it has advantages, there are disadvantages too. This might be a case where I’ll celebrate the bird in the hand rather than the 2 in the bush.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Superduper said:
Yeah, might want to temper that enthusiasm for the foreseeable future. It might be a reality we see in the future, but it’s not clear it’ll be anytime soon. In 2012, apparently a 20AH SS battery costs $100k usd to produce and while it has advantages, there are disadvantages too. This might be a case where I’ll celebrate the bird in the hand rather than the 2 in the bush.
Very true Norm. They always seem to make claims and then fall short. In a few videos they keep talking about how we could start seeing these by next year. I won't hold my breath on that one however, I notice one thing they do not mention is cost. As you say, these batteries could very well be out of reach for the common consumer once tested and developed.