SONY 40th Anniversary Walkman NW-A100TPS

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Here is a nice review by Techmoan. It's not exactly what we would want though. Plus, that price... :thumbsdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdy_2kGGhM

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Fatdog, thanks for this video. I saw it yesterday, because Techmoan is in my subscribe list.
I expected more by Sony. This is like standart android player.
For this price you can buy 2 or 3 budget smartphones and use it only like music players.
Or buy new smartphone for new year, and use your old like music player.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
I tried it out but was disappointed and returned it.
Its too small and essentially just an android device, nothing special about it to be honest.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
I watched the video and I feel the same way. You get an android device that can't even do what your Android / iPhone can do. TBO, all you need to best this is to buy a flip case that looks like a TPS-L2 for your phone.

IMO, aside from being a Sony device, there isn't anything Walkman about this and most everyone already has a device in our hands/home that does what this can do and more.

I guess if you were a die hard Sony fan and wanted this for commemorative decoration and as a collectors keepsake and also didn't mind the cost and limitation for the money, it would be good piece to display for the anniversary.

Tredders

Jun 3, 2020
Warwickshire, UK
Resurrecting an old thread, but I bought one of these at launch. It’s much smaller than it looked on the press photos, but it’s a nicely put together unit, and the sound quality is excellent. Sony has already released a couple of firmware updates to improve battery life (which was lousy at first!). The party piece is obviously the tape mechanism visualisation when you play music via the Sony music player (doesn’t kick in for Spotify or Tidal unfortunately). Nice attention to detail that it changes the look of the actual tape depending on the bit rate of the music you’re playing...