Jaycar Ghetto Blaster

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Crank up the tunes with this portable ghetto blaster with that classic look from the 70’s and 80’s. Listen to your favourite AM or FM radio stations, play MP3 files from a USB stick or microSD card, or pop in an old audio cassette for those old-time feels. The cassette recording allows songs to be converted to MP3 using a USB flash drive or microSD card; and record music to a blank cassette tape using any audio source. Thanks to Bluetooth® technology, you can stream music from your Bluetooth® enabled smartphone, computer or media player, and a built-in microphone which can record your voice on to a cassette, USB flash drive or a microSD card. Just like an old style ghetto blaster, this unit comes complete with a telescopic antenna, volume, bass and treble controls, mono/stereo button, bass boost, and a carry handle. Includes a 240V 2-pin mains lead and can be powered by 6 x D cell batteries (not included).

Features:

• Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
• 2 x 7WRMS Speaker Output
• Cassette Playback & Recording
• USB & microSD Card Playback & Recording
• AM/FM Radio
• 3.5mm Auxiliary Input & Output
• Analogue VU Meters

AUD$99

PA and Party Speakers

Power Output (RMS)

14W

Speaker Diameter

4.5in

Impedance

8Ω

Frequency Response

70Hz-20kHz

Sensitivity

71dB

Handle

Swivel
Power from disposable battery

Size / Shape

D

Battery quantity

6pc

Batteries included

Type

Alkaline

Runtime

3hr-6hr
Bluetooth

Bluetooth Version

V4.2

Bluetooth Range

10m
USB Connectivity

USB Port Types

USB Type A

Number of USB ports

1 ports
Digital Storage Details

Storage Media Type

USB Flash Memory (Thumbdrive),microSD

Maximum Capacity

32GB
Mains powered

Rated for AU Mains

Mains lead included

Mains Voltage Range

240V-240V

Mains Max Current

50mA

Frequency

50Hz-50Hz

Connection Details

Figure 8 Mains Connector
Radio Receiver

MW(AM) Frequency Range

531kHz-1602kHz

Bass Controls

Treble Controls

Line Out

Earphone Socket

Power Source

Mains power supply,Battery

Type of Radio

AM,FM

FM Frequency Range

87.5mHz-108mHz

Line In

Product Dimensions

Weight

3.2kg

Width

432mm

Height

233mm

Depth

139mm

CS2473-ghetto-blaster-with-bluetooth-cassette-player-and-radiogallery1-900.jpg

CS2473-ghetto-blaster-with-bluetooth-cassette-player-and-radioImageMain-900.jpg

CS2473-ghetto-blaster-with-bluetooth-cassette-player-and-radiogallery8-900.jpg

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Looks good, but still missing some functionality - display for mp3 info, folder up & down buttons.
I can't find manufacturer site and another info about this radio...

On the left side on radio have label "level meter" and some leds.
Maybe they work together with analogue VU meters...
There is some fakes tweeters on the left and right corners...

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
it looks like it has buttons for folders on the side, I'll go in store to take a closer look

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Interesting, which store is this sold in?

Very classic looking design, but sometimes I feel sad that the novelty and impact of our vintage blasters is being watered down by these re-makes.

At least the power output data seems honest.

It's funny how most of Europe and Australia use the words ghetto blaster. In America if a business used those words there would be hell to pay.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
not interested just buy retro........probably only lasts 6 months lol, it's a shame the true ghettoblaster has been reduced to these things

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
i have changed my mind on this...it has bass and treble and runs on real d size batteries instead of being rechargeable....i don't want one but it gets the thumbs up in my book

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Just checked one of these things out. Not sure what you’d expect for something modern but the quality is pretty bad. The tuner knob is very stiff and there is no needle movement for the first 1/5th or a turn.

The switch gear on the top panel feels like it’s about the break each time you switch them.

It’s also quite small - smaller than a GF-9090 for example.

The sound is weak in comparison with a vintage mid sized box.

Viewing new gear really does confirm my love of the originals!!!

James.... :-)

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Good;

Box moulding is good looks like it would take a hit
Sanyo clone
Room for upgrades
Good handle
Built in recording mic
LED and UV Power meters Stereo tuning light
Rocker toggles
looks better in person than photos
15w 8ohm drivers
Single belt cassette mech sounds and works well.
AC cable side entry
AC isolator on back
Analogue Radio tuner
Takes standard d cells x6
USB recording and playback Button on side (didn't bother testing)
Metal Speaker grills!
No CD player of course

Bad

Poor High frequency response (needs tweeters, room to fit) (went for uv meters instead of tweeters)
Limited Treble adjustment due to above
Tape heads require adjusting ( sounds good once its tweaked (half turn) Not featured in the user manual fail)

I would recommend this box as its a good price and you can get good amount of volume and with careful adjustment the sound quality is acceptable. The tape deck sounds nice and records well, the build quality is good with nice PCB's and tidy internal cabling and fit out. As this is mid sized; room for upgrades

20191122_000124.jpg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I think its a cool little radio , but I can't take from people just for the hell of it . I feel greedy if I do. thanks for the offer though.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Thanks for review.
Please upload more pictures from inside of boombox - to see speakers, place for tweeters, cassette deck...
Upload some pictures from 2 boards - to see what is quality of this new boombox.
Lets see what is differences form old and quality boomboxes...

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
My hearing must be off then - I thought this thing sounded weak with poor bass and very poor highs. The quality and action of the controls etc really don’t compare with vintage gear. Although the deck door slow release mechanism is nice. :-)

I’d recommend you just pick up a cheap mid sized vintage box like a Sanyo M4500 if you want a 9 volt box with nice sound - should outlast these new boxes. :-)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Well I mean its a $100 boombox shipped I wouldn't expect mind blowing performance I the looks and the features override the drawback's just don't expect too much from the motha fuker and use it for what it us.
Its like fuking food critics that walk into mc Donald's expecting world class dining from a place whose mascot is a goddamn clown.

Just consider it a fancy ass transistor radio with inputs lol. Still looks cool for the price

It might be small it its not a bad looking radio I think its cool looking if nothing else.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
JVC Floyd said:
Well I mean its a $100 boombox shipped I wouldn't expect mind blowing performance I the looks and the features override the drawback's just don't expect too much from the motha fooker and use it for what it us.
Its like fooking food critics that walk into mc Donald's expecting world class dining from a place whose mascot is a goddamn clown.Just consider it a fancy ass transistor radio with inputs lol. Still looks cool for the priceIt might be small it its not a bad looking radio I think its cool looking if nothing else.
Each to their own and all that. :-) I think it’s really designed for the kids Christmas present market

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
hopey, thanks for pictures.
I see standard cassette deck mechanism, simple preamp circuit.
Speakers look good, there is space for tweeters, do you have idea to upgrade it.
I agree with other users - for $100 boombox looks good. :-)

Just one question: what is buttons for usb playback - play, <<, >>, rec.... ?

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
goodman said:
hopey, thanks for pictures.
I see standard cassette deck mechanism, simple preamp circuit.
Speakers look good, there is space for tweeters, do you have idea to upgrade it.
I agree with other users - for $100 boombox looks good. :-)

Just one question: what is buttons for usb playback - play, <<, >>, rec.... ?
There are five buttons no LCD screen

It has 8ohm speakers which indicates low output. Im going to try some 8ohm akai 1 inch tweeters. However might be better replacing the main drivers as well.

Room for LED mod