Jvc rv-nb1 cassette deck clicking when turning on

stereomann

Member (SA)
Nov 17, 2010
MD
Hi I have a jvc kaboom & the cassette player is not working and makes a clicking sound when turning the unit on

Superduper

Member (SA)
Ok, so I wanna ask, is it clicking continuously, or just clicks a bit and then stop? Is there a cassette in the chamber when it does this? If no, does the cassette icon in the display show? The cassette present icon looks like a sideways horseshoe with an arrow next to it. How about with no cassette in the chamber, does it still do this? Also, I know it's hard, maybe impossible to tell with a cassette in the chamber because the window is so narrow, but do you know if the reels actually spin (to determine if the motor is working).

ARjohn

Jun 17, 2020
quebec
I have the same issue so today took it apart and got the cassette mech out but still connected .If i give the pulley a little push she starts up and plays fine but each time you stop need to give it little push to get going . So I put it all back together after a bit it seemed to be working but now the tape is jammed and clicking . So need to take it apart again . Question for you , does anyone use double belts as they seem to be designed for 2 ? And the million dollar question , what size and where to get them . My model is the RV-B550 with the flashing lights but I assume the same transport was used in many models ?

thanks John

ARjohn

Jun 17, 2020
quebec
I orded belts today from TTN.com in 2 sizes so will report back on wich size is the best fit . Now should double belt or single belt as I ordered 2 of each size ?

Superduper

Member (SA)
From the factory, only 1 belt was installed. Double belts will physically fit but the tension increases enough which in my experience, can cause the mechanism to not operate correctly. I suppose some trial and error is necessary but I also don't think it will be the same for every example. If you need to give the motor a slight "push" to get it to operate, it could be that the circuit has too much voltage drop (perhaps a dropping fusible resistor has changed in value?) or the motor is getting weak. Just something to consider.

ARjohn

Jun 17, 2020
quebec
From the factory, only 1 belt was installed. Double belts will physically fit but the tension increases enough which in my experience, can cause the mechanism to not operate correctly. I suppose some trial and error is necessary but I also don't think it will be the same for every example. If you need to give the motor a slight "push" to get it to operate, it could be that the circuit has too much voltage drop (perhaps a dropping fusible resistor has changed in value?) or the motor is getting weak. Just something to consider.
Thanks , I will start with 1 and take it from there .

ARjohn

Jun 17, 2020
quebec
So I did get the new belt in , I ordered 2 sizes so started with the smaller size one and got it going . But it plays slow . I tried to adjust the speed pot on the back of the motor but it seems to be plugged ? So I wonder if the slightly longer belt would speed it up , I doubt it but I am not an expert .also I recorded a brand new cassette on it , Maxell UR , and after rewind it ate the tape !

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
not sure about the speed adjust but it will need new rollers as all kabooms do...i have given 2 away for this reason