Is this a real box, or a custom?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I think this photo came from one of the Dessau meets a few years ago. The model name on it says L15600. Does anyone know if this is a real model, or a custom box, or just a photoshop?

L15600.JPG

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
It's real. I've seen and heard it in person.
However, it is AC only and has no battery compartment. The quality is really cheap unfortunately.
As far as I know, it is a domestic model from China. Never really had the desire to own one but it sure is unique!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Thanks, I wish we knew the brand name. If it's Chinese maybe it's Dynasty or XingQiu.
AC only --- that makes no sense for a street-styled box like that. :dunce:
You would think a cheap Chinese box would have plenty of room for a battery compartment, because low-quality boxes usually have lots of empty space inside.

Real triple decks? Real 10-band EQ?
Those little squares running above the speakers, is that an LED meter?

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Reli said:
Thanks, I wish we knew the brand name. If it's Chinese maybe it's Dynasty or XingQiu.
AC only --- that makes no sense for a street-styled box like that. :dunce:
You would think a cheap Chinese box would have plenty of room for a battery compartment, because low-quality boxes usually have lots of empty space inside.

Real triple decks? Real 10-band EQ?
Those little squares running above the speakers, is that an LED meter?
Yes, yes, and yes.
Even though the EQ is not that effective, the LEDs look pretty cool in the dark. Kinda like KITT.
And the decks...they are of the same quality as discolite decks. The cheapest of the cheap.
Still, it is an interesting box. I can't remember the brand though. If I have the chance to talk to the owner again, I will ask him and let you know. :)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Wow, so the meter goes all the way across the box? Like 20 segments each direction?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Wait......Did you really digitize and clean up that W logo, and then do an image search on it? :jawdrop:
Genius! I didn't see this box in the results though. Must be rare!

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Nah. I asked my coworker :-) Actually it's "Swallow Dance"
The pic of that 777 clone linked to an article about the company's history
I tried to clean up the translation

Image 1: Swallow Dance press conference
Image 2: Swallow Dance tape recorder
Image 3: The 3rd Swallow Dance Beijing Trade Fair Crowd

The original brand. The loudest sound. "Swallow Dance, Swallow Dance, a sound to love." This jingle has an indelible memory for those who experienced the 80s. It was an era of being gradually opened to the world. In the 1970s, China was still in a period of material shortages. Under the economic system back then, many things still needed to be purchased by ticket. At the beginning of the reform and the opening up in the 1980s, the Chinese began a strong pursuit of a material life. Color TV, which was never thought of before, even unheard of, gradually entered the ordinary family. Many state-owned enterprises also realized the importance of propaganda and began to advertise on TV stations for publicity.

Since marketing was a new concept at the time, the company had no advertising experience, nor any ad agencies to turn to. So instead, emphasis was put on other aspects of their products, such as info about the factory and their contact information. Or, they might claim that the factory is a "provincial superior department, the implementation of three guarantees." There was no awareness of trademarks, brands, advertising language, and so on. When the first Swallow Dance advertisement sang to the whole of China, it let the people remember the brand instantly. After the advertisement was broadcast, it directly created sales of more than 200 million Swallow Dances within the same year. This is equivalent to a Swallow Dance recorder for every Chinese family at that time.

Swallow Dance uses trademark promotion to open up a broad and solid market throughout the country. Even in the situation of weak overall market sales, Swallow Dance Enterprise firmly grasps the main idea of trademark promotion, and based on this, it forms a unique artistic style that fits the corporate image. From the "National Sales of Swallow Dance Recorder," which shows the strength of Swallow Dance, to the "Swallow Dance 888, the top quality" full of modern atmosphere, to the "a song to love, the Swallow Dance sounds exciting," to the poetic "singing and dancing everywhere, bringing countless companions," to the catchy "Yan Wu 589, the function is everywhere," to the "Long Year Swallow Dance shows new posture, sprinkling its love to the world." For the first time, Swallow Dance gave the Chinese people a deeper memory of the brand.

Jiangsu Yanwu Electric Group Co., Ltd. is located in Yancheng, a coastal city. It is a provincial-level enterprise group in Jiangsu Province, and a large-scale enterprise in China. The city's residents cannot forget the "Swallow Dance." At its peak it employed nearly 5,000 workers. If a Yancheng local didn't work there, they most certainly has a friend, family member or neighbor that did. The company was founded in 1968. At the end of 1978, the Yancheng Regional Radio Factory developed the D602 desktop tube radio, in the style of Shanghai Red Light Radio. The registered trademark is Swallow Dance. In 1982, Swallow Dance employees successfully developed the first-generation recorder. With a hard product, but no sales history, the locals only recognized Shanghai goods. This was the first hurdle in front of Swallow Dance. In order to cross this hurdle, it decided to head north.

The Spring Festival in 1983 was the first time Swallow Dance went to Beijing for an exhibition. Prior to that, they made several print ads aiming to inform Beijing consumers of the Swallow Dance recorder. Unexpectedly, in the exhibition at Beijing's Dongfeng Market, consumers queued up. More than 700 Yanyan recorders that were brought to the exhibition were immediately snatched up. Swallow Dance now had a foothold in Beijing. Since then, every year around New Year's Day, Swallow Dance has held an exhibition in Beijing, all of them being very popular. According to the deputy director of the executive during the first exhibition: "Yancheng did not have an airport at that time. In order to get ready for Beijing in time, we rented a transport plane from the Wuhan Military Region to Yancheng Military. At the airport, I put the tape recorders on the plane and took them to Beijing."

This is a unique historical period. In 1982 the reform and opening up had just gotten underway. Opportunities and challenges coexisted. At that time, there were several trump cards in the tape recorder market. There are four major players in the Shanghai civilian electronics industry - Jinxing, Chunlei, Haiyan, and Red Light. In contrast, Swallow Dance was weak. Branding and trademarks were essential to establishing a brand in such a short period of time and occupying the market. Zhang Xingrong, former deputy director of the Yancheng Radio Factory, said, “Every time you go to a local exhibition, you have to advertise and put all our brands out for a simple performance introduction. Whether it's newspapers, TV, radio... all media have advertising. After each trade fair, we invite at least 70 or 80 reporters from newspapers, television and radio stations to a press conference.” In 1987, the cost of Swallow Dance for advertising was nearly two million yuan, which is definitely an astronomical figure in the household appliance industry of that time. The first advertisement shown at the 1988 New Year's party was for the Swallow Dance recorder.

In 1993, Swallow Dance implemented the strategy of “creating famous brands, entering famous cities, and going to famous stores” in the wake of a general depression of the national audio market. It strived to open up domestic and foreign markets, thus re-creating glory. A total of 114,000 units were produced in the whole year, an increase of 23% over the previous year.

By the mid-1990s, Jiangsu Yanwu Electric Group had 18 enterprises under its jurisdiction. Its core enterprise, Jiangsu Yanwu Electric Group Co., Ltd., had 4,500 employees, including 800 technicians, 200 million yuan in fixed assets, 120,000 square meters of factory space, and more than 3,000 machines. Its annual output was 1.5 million tape recorders, 100,000 air conditioners, 200,000 car stereos, 3 million laser discs, and DVD production capability. It established a one-stop production and management system, beginning with new product development all the way to maintenance services. The company was inducted as a member of China's well-known trademark protection organization. The “Swallow Dance” trademark won the nomination award in the first well-known trademark selection activity in China and was awarded the famous trademark of Jiangsu Province. When people see the trademark of "Swallow Dance" again, its value is different from the original one.

Technological changes occur very fast in the electronics industry, and the DVD player quickly eliminated the tape recorder. The DVD was cruel in this regard, and could not be ignored. When the "Watchman" entered the Chinese market and gradually appeared on many young people, Swallow Dance realized the importance of product innovation, but this time it was too late. The dance steps of Swallow Dance were completely disrupted. From 1991 to 1997, the general manager of Swallow Dance changed four people. At the end of 1996, the Swallow Dance Group announced that it had completely stopped production. Two years later, it collapsed.

One of the first Swallow Dances in China’s electronic products market won the Consumer Actual Purchase Brand, The Ideal Brand of Consumers, and the Consumer Actual Purchase Brand. But then, the trademark was aborted because of unfavorable development of new products. Its trademark has lost backing of good products, and the brand value cannot be continued. Only some people have nostalgia for that era, and the memories of the disappearing products from that time. Today's young people may not be able to imagine the scenery of the "Swallow Dance" from Yancheng, Jiangsu. But “Swallow Dance” is undoubtedly a member of the pioneers of Chinese brands. They shined through the spring of reform, but they quickly disappeared. This is the unique fate of China’s first-generation brands.

The word Swallow Dance comes from the idiom "Yangge Swallow Dance", which is a portrayal of the recovery of the Chinese society at that time. It is also synonymous with the Yancheng Radio Factory. Even now, it's seen as a quality brand. However, since the beginning of the opening in the early 1980s, the sudden attraction of huge wealth has made people pay little attention to the future. Few people will consider a century-old brand something of value, and establishing a trademark that will not fall. The advantages will continue and the brand value will continue to accumulate. The cruel reality of a quickly changing market makes it impossible for enterprises to avoid crises that may occur at any time. Only by adapting to the modern economy can we achieve long-term development.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Wait, you mean you did a google search on that image, and that page came up? It didn't find other images of that box?

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
No I used the Chinese text for the name of the company, 燕舞
Look at the contents of the search box on the Google page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTOADCA5950

Zippy

Member (SA)
Sep 21, 2010
Hannover, Germany
I actually took that photo at the Dessau meet in 2015, wanted to capture the rare sight. Had my cam on autofocus, I guess that didn't work that well on these black boxes. But still, here's a crop of the pic in the original resolution, I figured it can't hurt.

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Thanks! Now I can see the long row of LED's above the speakers. "Jumping Output Indicator" :lol:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I actually took that photo at the Dessau meet in 2015, wanted to capture the rare sight. Had my cam on autofocus, I guess that didn't work that well on these black boxes. But still, here's a crop of the pic in the original resolution, I figured it can't hurt.
This box has two recording decks which means it's probably meant so that you can record a tape and play a tape simultaneously meaning you can listen to one tape and then dub another tape at the same time .

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Or you can make two copies of a tape at the same time. Who knows why they did it but it's still cool I don't need three tape next so I can't even get one to f****** work anymore lol. That's a cool looking box I like these big weird looking boomboxes.