Oct 29, 2019
HI there!! :-)

its this unit any good? it will be Our first :breakdance:
thank you !!!

Metzu

Member (SA)
Oct 29, 2019
jimmyjimmy19702010 said:
The 727 is a unique looking box and is fully featured. The sound quality is only average though with weak bass. I don’t tend to use mine much for this reason.

Hope that helps,

James...... :-)
thank you James!!!... i thought it was better :'-(

Foreverlo

Member (SA)
Jan 6, 2016
Kansas City
foreverlo.com
I've kind of focused on this period JVC boxes and I love them. James is right about the bass though. People weren't as into bass in the 70's (or very early eighties) and most audio gear reflected this. These boxes aren't gonna make hip hop sound as good as as the boxes from the mid-80's but if you want rock and don't require max volume I think they sound great and of course they look amazing and have all kinds of functions that aren't really necessary but are a lot of fun. BTW, the JVC 838 is my favorite from this line.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Don’t pay those naysayers any mind. The jvc 727 is a good quality Boombox and you could certainly do much worse. You must understand that most members here have scores, sometimes hundreds of Boomboxes, many valued in the hundreds of dollars, some could be a thousand dollars or more. And your question was really too vague. Is it the best? No. Does it have ear drum blowing bass? No, but then again it wasn’t meant to be, as it was manufactured in the era of California dreamin, Beatles, bee gees, etc so keep that in mind. On the other hand, if you understand this, then you’ll be happy with it.

Sometimes, members forget that most new members start with more modest boxes and your comment that this will be your first should be a hint. And so they tend to compare in their mind the modest ones with high priced ones and of course there will always be something that sounds bassier, brassier, louder, bigger, more expensive, etc. Will the JVC RC-M70 sound better? YES. But then good all working ones could cost $500-$1000 and it isn’t nearly as portable as the 727 either.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Superduper said:
Don’t pay those naysayers any mind. The jvc 727 is a good quality Boombox and you could certainly do much worse. You must understand that most members here have scores, sometimes hundreds of Boomboxes, many valued in the hundreds of dollars, some could be a thousand dollars or more. And your question was really too vague. Is it the best? No. Does it have ear drum blowing bass? No, but then again it wasn’t meant to be, as it was manufactured in the era of California dreamin, Beatles, bee gees, etc so keep that in mind. On the other hand, if you understand this, then you’ll be happy with it.
Sometimes, members forget that most new members start with more modest boxes and your comment that this will be your first should be a hint. And so they tend to compare in their mind the modest ones with high priced ones and of course there will always be something that sounds bassier, brassier, louder, bigger, more expensive, etc. Will the JVC RC-M70 sound better? YES. But then good all working ones could cost $500-$1000 and it isn’t nearly as portable as the 727 either.
The OP wanted an honest opinion of the 727 and that’s what they got. The 727 is a box from the era of super solid build quality with the full assortment of features but despite all of that, only offers bargain basement sound quality. It’s a common enough situation you become very familiar with if you collect enough of the early models from this time frame.

IMHO, honest opinions of a particular model’s performance characteristics are vital to a new collector starting out. How many of us regret our early purchases when we didn’t know what we were doing?!

Just trying to help a newbie out.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Hey Jimmy, please don't take my response personally, it wasn't meant to be.

These days, it just seems like we are always focused on calling out all the shortcomings of every model (even entry models) instead of celebrating and promoting the positives which might bring more people into the hobby, instead of discouraging them.

My first boombox was a small superscope mono box. As a teenager, every day in my job in a bakery basement, I would listen to it from when I clocked in til I clocked out. Nobody told me that it was an average boombox with non-stereo and zero bass. It is all those things, but not until later on in life when I was able to purchase and experienced more gear and expanded my experience was I able to compare. The experience gave me perspective. But even to this day, I still sought out and a few years ago was able to find and purchase that simple 4-cell mono boombox which was my pride and joy so it couldn't have been that bad if I went and purchased it even though I have all these fancy boomboxes already. If someone told me 40-something years ago, that it was a cheap box, not worth getting since it only offers bargain basement sound quality, not even stereo or bass/treble controls, no bass, etc etc... I might not have purchased it and experienced it. Did I think those things at the time? No. I loved it. But if back then, I heard how terrible the box was, I might've thought maybe I'll save my $50 instead and wait until I have saved the $300 or $400 for a "real" boombox. In the end, I might never have been able to save up that much without spending it on something else first, and therefore might never have purchased a boombox at all, and my life would be entirely different today. When I look at that 727 and compare it to my little mono superscope, well the superscope isn't even in the same league, but yet I still loved it. So if you ask me is the 727 any good. Heck yeah! It's all about perspective, and what you are comparing it to. For a first box, it's an awesome box. I don't have one, but I'm still tempted to buy one today if it's in good shape and doesn't cost too much, if it weren't for that I already have too many boxes.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
Thjs is a forum where we should be able to discuss, praise and critique our experiences of Boomboxes. The good the bad and the ugly. We’re not 10 year olds who get mortally wounded if told their gear isn’t great.

To be frank if Jimmy is the only one to own a 727 on this thread and his appraisal was pretty honest then we should value it.
To just extol the virtues of a newbie’s prospective box and skirt round the negatives does no one any good. It’s like censoring an honest review and makes no sense to me.

The thread starter’s post was ‘is this unit any good? It will be our first’. So what they’re expecting is an honest opinion not a sugar coated one all in the name of positivity.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I've had boxes that people say sounded like crap but weren't that bad to me and also had boxes that were supposed to he the **** except they sounded like a drowning horse.
You can't win em all and show me anybody who says they would not want this box when they were a kid back when people were still carrying pocket transistor radio's.

Superduper

Member (SA)
JVC Floyd said:
"I've had boxes that people say sounded like crap but weren't that bad to me ...........and show me anybody who says they would not want this box when they were a kid back when people were still carrying pocket transistor radio's."
Exactly. Or cheap superscope mono's which was actually an upgrade from that "pocket transistor radio" that I actually listened to in bed under the blankets to keep my parents from finding out I spent $10 on. But discouraging a first time buyer from getting a 727 because it's merely "average." Like as if average is something bad because it's inferior to some other model. If a bunch of established members wanted to discuss the merits of a particular model, that's entirely different because experienced members can put into perspective a comment like "the M70s bass sucks compared to a kaboom." Instead, a first time buyer with exactly no perspective or knowledge of either model can interpret that comment to mean that an M70 is not worth getting which is entirely off track. This was a buyer asking if a 727 is any good, for a first time radio, for goodness sakes and the answer should have simply been YES, it's good.

Yeah, it's a forum and you can say whatever you want. Heck, here in the USA, we can burn and stomp on the flag. We can cap on someone's grandma, or call a handicapped person some insensitive name and we can even be an overall A-Ho, no prob, it's legal. But just because one can doesn't mean one should though. And I'm not calling for censorship, only that we consider how a campaign of negativism might impair rather than help this hobby as opposed to say, focusing on spend that same time celebrating the features and positives of any particular box. That is my personal opinion however, and I understand that there are always going to be those whose views differ but I for one would prefer that this forum where you can do all of those things freely doesn't end up being a boombox ghost town.

WHO DOESN'T WANT THIS???

tiki-download_file.php.jpeg

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
That's a cool looking box , I get sick of the same shite every day its like the cookie cutter collections where everybody has the same shlt as a staple of the collection.

I dont mind any box as long as the motherfuker works and is easy on the eyes.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I mean if the 727 is reasonable priced and in decent shape that's a better find than the flood of the more modern boxes you see.

Oh and if you buy a JVC with slider controls make sure they are working because those will cost you more than the box.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Superduper said:
"I've had boxes that people say sounded like crap but weren't that bad to me ...........and show me anybody who says they would not want this box when they were a kid back when people were still carrying pocket transistor radio's."
Exactly. Or cheap superscope mono's which was actually an upgrade from that "pocket transistor radio" that I actually listened to in bed under the blankets to keep my parents from finding out I spent $10 on. But discouraging a first time buyer from getting a 727 because it's merely "average." Like as if average is something bad because it's inferior to some other model. If a bunch of established members wanted to discuss the merits of a particular model, that's entirely different because experienced members can put into perspective a comment like "the M70s bass sucks compared to a kaboom." Instead, a first time buyer with exactly no perspective or knowledge of either model can interpret that comment to mean that an M70 is not worth getting which is entirely off track. This was a buyer asking if a 727 is any good, for a first time radio, for goodness sakes and the answer should have simply been YES, it's good.

Yeah, it's a forum and you can say whatever you want. Heck, here in the USA, we can burn and stomp on the flag. We can cap on someone's grandma, or call a handicapped person some insensitive name and we can even be an overall A-Ho, no prob, it's legal. But just because one can doesn't mean one should though. And I'm not calling for censorship, only that we consider how a campaign of negativism might impair rather than help this hobby as opposed to say, focusing on spend that same time celebrating the features and positives of any particular box. That is my personal opinion however, and I understand that there are always going to be those whose views differ but I for one would prefer that this forum where you can do all of those things freely doesn't end up being a boombox ghost town.

WHO DOESN'T WANT THIS???

tiki-download_file.php.jpeg
‘Campaign of negativism’???? :lol: Give me a break.

If the OP had asked: ‘How does the RC-727 sound output compare to that of a pocket transistor radio through the eyes of a ten year old’, then yes, I would have said it would compare favorably.

As I assumed that the OP actually wanted a more realistic comparison between the sound of an RC-727 and other boomboxes in that size, then I would have suggested that it would probably sound inferior to the best boxes available.

I don’t usually have a particularly strong opinion of any vintage Boombox - they are what they are. BUT the RC-727 with its light weight 2 watts per channel through puny 5 inch drivers sounds so irritatingly poor that even short listening sessions make me wonder what JVC were thinking when they designed this thing. :-)

I tried to love it - I even went to the considerable expense of importing a shoulder strap from Joe for the thing. :-)