Cashing in on your collection?

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
With the crazy prices that 80's boomboxes are going for on Ebay these days, have any of you considered selling your entire collection and walking away from the hobby you love? I don't think I could ever bring myself to doing something like this, but when I'm seeing beat up 931's going for $400 - $600 on Ebay, it definitely makes me consider just selling everything and making out like a bandit. I wonder if the prices will continue to rise, or if they'll have to start dropping back down to reality at some point?

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
They’re up and down all the time to be fair. I don’t have a collection for its value, I have it because I like them. I just repair and sell the lower end ones to fund it.

And if the values bomb then it’s ok with me, it’s not like they’re my retirement plan. There’s a core I would never sell regardless of what I could get for them :-)

skippy1969

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Baraboo Wisconsin
Yes,I've thought about it many times.
However with all the Ebay B.S. pro buyer policies and screw the sellers,scammers and idiots who can't read auction listing description.
It pains me to sell them on Ebay.
I'd rather sell them between brothers here on the forum,but sometimes thats not always an option.

Dbzerk

Member (SA)
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Having been a collector for only a couple of years now I must say it hasn't crossed my mind to sell it. Like mentioned above, I collect also for the love and joy it brings and not to cash out while it's high, even how tempting it can be.
I do like seeing how much various boxes are going for, and when I do buy ones that I'm after, I like using it as a tool to justify to the wife that I'm getting a bargain. 😂

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
It definitely seems to suck the fun out of looking for project boxes to work on. I used to really enjoy searching Ebay and trying to find basket cases that could be brought back to life, but I don't even bother anymore. The prices have gotten way out of control. I'll never part with the bulk of my collection, but I doubt that I'll be adding anything new in the near future.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
I don't hunt as hard as I use to, that's for sure. There are times I am trying to purchase something 'extra' for the family to do together or a repair/upgrade to the house or our cars, and if I can 1-to-1 or 2-to-1 trade off selling a blaster or two for this extra expense, I might. I've done that to pay off my truck. To buy some new wheels for my ride. To help renovate our home. To help buy a camper for the family. Help pay for honeymoon.

Trying to buy a deal on ebay now, unless you are the first to find a buy-it-now deal or lowball offer, there isn't many out there for what I would call a deal. I'm always looking at rummage sales and thrift shops because you just never know what gem is waiting for you.

Agree, there is a good chunk of my collection that will stay here. Once you have a nice boombox wall, it's hard to break that up.

IMG_3050.JPG

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
I agree, that wall would be hard to break up! Looks great Joe!

And you got a black DJ Tech?? :drool: I thought I was the only one with a black one.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Yeah I snagged 3 red DJ Techs and 1 black one over the years. 2 direct from DJ Tech, one was a demo and the other was a return. The other red and black ones I got on ebay used. The unicorn is the white one (not sure if it was ever released.). Too good of sounding boxes to pass up.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Yeah these high prices have made it very difficult for us newbies to get started. It's like the college debt crisis. You are in the hole before you get started.

I doubt my collection will grow anymore. I have most of what I wanted and I don't like to own more boxes than I can play my rounds often and keep the belts spinning without sitting too long.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
The way i feel at the moment i would sell up but people don't want 3 piece and i have no way of posting them

1986GLH

Member (SA)
May 2, 2016
WI
Joe, that wall is a thing of beauty! No way I would ever part with that either.

Ghettoboom767

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
USA
I still keep most of mine,wanting to sell just a few. Most rare ones and big ones keeping. Still have 105 or so,still to many! Better than the 175 I used to have!!😮😊🎼🎶📻📻

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Rimmer36 said:
The way i feel at the moment i would sell up but people don't want 3 piece and i have no way of posting them
Can't be arsed does not count as no way of posting.... Hermes collect from your door.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
im not posting anything and people no why i just had another valuable box packed by a pro almost trashed in the post

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
blu_fuz said:
Yeah I snagged 3 red DJ Techs and 1 black one over the years. 2 direct from DJ Tech, one was a demo and the other was a return. The other red and black ones I got on ebay used. The unicorn is the white one (not sure if it was ever released.). Too good of sounding boxes to pass up.
Again, thank you for mine. It is my work radio, sits right on my toolbox. Perfect because others can link their bluetooth if I'm not around. Wouldn't dare trust them either my 80's radios.

As for me, I "only" have about 20 radios... and most of them are duplicates or triplicate. I really only have like 6 different models. So I'd maybe sell a couple... which what my wife expects. But theres still a few I still want to find. But aside from browsing online, I just don't have any time to hunt the stores or yard sales.