Photo

I need advice on putting a better tweeter in my box.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members (SA)
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Hi, I have a Toshiba RT-F452D mono box which unfortunately has a really poor tweeter. I was wondering if it is possible to somehow replace it with a better tweeter? Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Attached Files

#2 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:20 AM

Honestly,

I don’t think it’s worth trying to improve this one. 

#3 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,806 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Ugh!  The dreaded piezo tweeter.  I'd say just about any tweeter you can make fit would be an improvement.  :yes:  Would it be worth it?  Ehh... not sure.

#4 MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy
  • Members (SA)
  • 327 posts
  • LocationEast Mesa Arizona Witness Protection Program

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:36 PM

Its always worth it! Some car stereo speakers might have the size you're looking for. Look on Amazon and pay attention to the dimensions. The space looks decent for a replacement.

#5 Ferguson3T18

Ferguson3T18
  • Members (SA)
  • 104 posts
  • LocationMid Wales, UK

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:00 AM

Its always worth it! Some car stereo speakers might have the size you're looking for. Look on Amazon and pay attention to the dimensions. The space looks decent for a replacement.

I did have a look at some car stereo tweeters but they seem to be rated at quite high watts I was unsure if they would work properly in my mono box?

#6 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

You could put a coaxial car speaker in there and that would probably sound a lot better.
Look for a sensitivity rating of 90 db or above and it should be pretty efficient with power.

#7 hopey

hopey
  • Members (SA)
  • 394 posts
  • LocationMelb AU

Posted 31 October 2019 - 07:36 PM

I have had success with 8 ohm minis like this they only cost a couple of dollars each.;

Mylar diaphragm speaker for replacement use in Telephones, Headphones Intercoms and also suitable where moisture is present.
- Mini Size : 27mm Diameter
- 9mm Thick
- 8 0.25Watt
- Frequency Response: 30 ~ 18 KHz

Attached File  Milar 8 ohm mini.jpg   33.2K   1 downloads

The original looks like a Transducer = useless

#8 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 31 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

You could put a coaxial car speaker in there and that would probably sound a lot better.
Look for a sensitivity rating of 90 db or above and it should be pretty efficient with power.

Hi Floyd, In that case you have to send it all to the main speaker bipassing the crossover circuit right?

#9 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,524 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 11:14 PM

Actually I was thinking just replace the woofer with a coaxial car speaker. That way you upgrade both speakers in one shot.