• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts
  • LocationLondon, Ontario

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:47 AM

Hello. I’m looking to buy a sharp gf-9696 off a guy near me. Supposedly all functions work and cosmetic condition pretty good. I’m just curious what you guys think a fair price would be or what your maximum price would be? He’s selling for about $425 USD. I don’t see these come up for sale here in Canada very often. Thanks I. advanced for Your input.

#2 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:41 AM

That's a fair price if it's in the condition you describe. But these have a history of faded tuner glass, worn paint above the glass, replacement antennas, and funky contact problems in the controls.

#3 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

Yeah I was a little concerned about contact controls. Will have to give it a good run through Tomorrow when I go check it out. Thanks

#4 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,806 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

Don't forget that all the old Sharp boomboxes will have the "goo" belts - unless a previous owner put in new ones.

#5 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:30 AM

Thanks guys. I called the guy as I was about to leave to pick it up and he said his wife has decided that they want more money for it. I didn’t even ask how much. What is wrong with people? We agreed on a price as well as a date and time for me to drive a hour to get it, then at the last second his “wife”. Wants more?? I really don't get it. I couldn’t imagine agreeing on a deal then backing out last second.

#6 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 11:49 AM

Tell him to put it on Ebay then. Sounds like that's what he should have done from the start.

#7 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 02:35 PM

They were asking too much anyway with the issues these can have imho sorry the deal went south on you

#8 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

Yeah at that price I feel like it's not a great deal , if you have the money you can wait and jump on a decent deal.

#9 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

These are not very common though. I've often see them go for $600-800.  On ePay at least, lol.

#10 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

I don’t see these around very often so was willing to shell out some decent cash but now I hope the guy doesn’t get any offers. Agreeing to a deal and then backing out at last second isn’t cool. There’s more boombox in the sea out there.

#11 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:40 PM

Yeah the guy sounds like a tool.  And he claims his wife told him to do it, that's a joke.

#12 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:01 PM

his wife had him tied to a bed lol

#13 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,254 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

I bought it brand new in 1981. Used a big chunk of money from my first salary when I was  a junior lecturer for Benin University.

The sound was unbelievable to me....but I was like 24 years old.... at that time. It rocked! ...I used to stay at my teachers quarters and enjoy the music from far....where they used to play soccer.

Now I have 3 of those... I mean the the Japanese version and two other common versions Z and all. H...

The Japanese version only ROCK...the other two needs..... dialysis....  :-D  :w00t:  :lol:

Now if you ask me ..... The best sounding box? I would say SharpGF9696 from 1981.

#14 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,225 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:41 PM

ha i used to stay in class with my jvc dc33l while the others played football or rugby, great tale BBL sport is so boring lol

#15 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,195 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Sorry to hear this,they dont come up often.

#16 Foreverlo

Foreverlo
  • Members (SA)
  • 32 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 04 November 2019 - 04:42 PM

I wonder if this is the one on the bay now for C$795 (US$605) starting with a C$1150 (US$875) buy it now plus shipping.  Looks to be in good shape compared to what I've seen available of late and these don't seem to come up often.  I've been searching for one but this is a little too rich for my blood.  I'd say your original price was about right but if he waits long enough he'll probably get at least the starting price.  It's already been relisted once or twice.       

#17 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 05:06 PM

Yes that is the one. He offered it to me for 700 Canadian

I told him 600 Canadian was the highest I would go. That’s probably about 450 American

#18 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:39 AM

I caved and agree to pay $675 Canadian. Hope his wife doesn’t change his mind again, lol. I’m going to check it out today. The line in uses a DIN input but I don’t see a line in switch. Is it one where you can only use the line in while recording to cassette?

#19 jimmyjimmy19702010

jimmyjimmy19702010
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationSunny Brisbane, Australia

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:14 AM

I caved and agree to pay $675 Canadian. Hope his wife doesn’t change his mind again, lol. I’m going to check it out today. The line in uses a DIN input but I don’t see a line in switch. Is it one where you can only use the line in while recording to cassette?

The best way to get a ‘line in’ function without involving the deck of the 9696 is to use the phono inputs via an attenuator - works great.

#20 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:21 AM

Ok thanks. Never used an attenuator. Does it
If into the phono in then you plug your device into some adapter?

The best way to get a ‘line in’ function without involving the deck of the 9696 is to use the phono inputs via an attenuator - works great.

Can you recommend which one to get or where to buy? Thanks

#21 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 02:08 PM

picked up the Sharp gf-9696 yesterday. It was a little expensive but it’s in nice shape. I had to convince the guy not to sell through Epay and that he shouldn’t risk shipping it, especially in this cold weather.Attached File  8F22E1D6-D069-4CDB-94B2-74F6A21975CC.jpeg   107.86K   4 downloads

Attached Files

#22 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,869 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

That one Does appear to be in great condition. The truth is that if it’s something you wanted, are happy with it, then whatever you paid is worth it.

#23 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:30 PM

True. I just would’ve blown the cash on something. Functions nice too. No scratchiness at all.

#24 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

Not a bad price for the condition it's in!  Congrats!

#25 Superduper

Superduper
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,869 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow, USA

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:06 PM

If I asked for "value" consensus prior to making every purchase,  at least 1/2 of them would never have materialized, which would be a shame.  Many of them would be deemed overpriced by a lot of folks, especially by the folks that are fortunate to be nearby thrift stores that actually has classic stuff from time to time, but I have NEVER in decades of searching goodwill and other thrift stores ever saw one.  At all.  I won't doubt that someone somewhere found one of these for a bargain basement price, but it wasn't me.  

Every time I see someone ask if this is a good deal or worth buying, I cringe because the availability of any particular model varies by location.  Some are common as flies here but  virtually non-existent in EU and some stuff common in AU are like unicorns here.  So the answers one gets simply is USELESS unless you know the other members and where they are located in the world, and there are going to be personality differences as well in whether someone is willing to pay the going rate for something they want immediately, or willing to wait a long time for a bargain deal to appear or a fixer which not everyone has the skills or appetite to tackle.

You paid a lot for your GF-9696, but not more than what the highest prices they went for, and certainly not the cheapest one that sold either.  However, based on it's current condition, I think you did well and I personally would be very happy with a 9696 in that condition because the control panel trims on that model (being painted) are often scraped up or well worn.

#26 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 08:36 AM

Rock on.

#27 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,116 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 10 November 2019 - 10:46 AM

Glad it’s  a nice example considering the hassle the seller put you through. 
Enjoy! This was Sharp’s best all rounder in my opinion. 

#28 donahuest

donahuest
  • Members (SA)
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:38 AM

Thanks. I was a little scared because he wanted to meet in a parking lot with no plugs to test. I was going to bring batteries but forgot them at home.

#29 Hisrudeness

Hisrudeness
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,116 posts
  • LocationSouth East London UK

Posted 12 November 2019 - 02:22 PM

Thanks. I was a little scared because he wanted to meet in a parking lot with no plugs to test. I was going to bring batteries but forgot them at home.

Fella seemed to want things all his own way.

#30 Ghettoboom767

Ghettoboom767
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,195 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:40 PM

Congratulations on getting it,such a nice model and in great shape!! I love mine but want another really nice one. They do sound very nice!!😊😎🎼🎶📻