van Halen Bombox

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
Monday afternoon. I've just come home from work, when Lasonic TRC 920 sends me the following picture via WhatsApp:

van_Halen_1978.jpg

"What do you see?" reads his text. And I, "Well, they look like the van Halen. So what?"
"Take a closer look", he says. "Do you recognize it?"

Good Lord! It's a box! Between the bass drum and Eddie.

"Feels like a JVC", I say.

Or is it? It may be a Crown or even a Sanyo, I think. But no, it's definitely a JVC. I know that box, I have seen it already although I don't own one. The tweeters give it away. What's the model number? I've always troubles with the JVCs, elegant and quality units which, for mysterious reasons, do not rank among the most desired units in my book.

"It's definitely a JVC. Let me check, I should identify it soon", I write. And I start looking at the WIkiBoombox page until I find it, take a screenshot and I am about to answer when I get the following message:

"Stop searching. According to hisrudeness, it's a JVC RC 727"

JVC RC 727.png

Fittingly enough, I think. Since that's another Four Nation Action, this time not in Pompei but online:

Van Halen, December 1978. Sunset Sound Studios, Hollywood.png

Since I mentioned the Four Nation Action, you may wonder what Hurb has to do with it. Well it's Van Halen on December 1978 at the Sunset Sound Studios, Hollywood. Who better than a Dutch collector can certify the Dutch-American guitar player's band love for the boombox? :-)

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Fun fact, the condensor microphones on that JVC rotate, just like the tweeters on the Sanyo M9994

deech

Member (SA)
Jan 11, 2012
Athens Greece
Sal, have you checked your private messages on Boomboxery lately?

This is a charming 70s boombox from JVC btw.

The JVC RC-717 a late 70s boombox has rotating mics for sure.
I dont know about the rotating tweeters of the 727,
never had the pleasure to see one too.

The 727 looks like the Stereo brother of another nice Mono from
JVC . The JVC RC-525. It looks like they share some parts
plus they are made in the exact same era. The Golden Era of Boombox.

Van Halen also released a 7'' vinyl disc depicting David Lee Roth holding an
unknown mini boombox.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/van-halen-panama/