• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf78

lonewolf78
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

Last year I picked up a 5005 at a garage sale for $5, and to my surprise it ran perfectly (the seller threw in another newer boombox, that wound up being junk, so really I got it for $2.50). It ran fine until a couple days ago when the belt snapped just after starting a tape.

I checked Ebay and other places,  but couldn't find a replacement. However I did see some other Panasonic RX ones for sale including a set for the RX-5010, which looks similar. Would this one work on mine?

#2 lonewolf78

lonewolf78
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 25 October 2019 - 04:47 PM

So does anyone know if a 5010 belt will work on a 5005?

#3 Hajidub

Hajidub
  • Members (SA)
  • 96 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 25 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

Jesus, what a score with this deck! Marrs Communication would provide the best belt for this, but has been in shambles since his daughter took over (complaints of 3-4 month delays). Google ElectronicCC.com (google him I could be wrong on the name) but he's cheap and provides pretty decent belts, quick. I might have the site name wrong, but it's close. You have a monster deck at that price, well worthy of any effort. 

#4 lonewolf78

lonewolf78
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 October 2019 - 07:39 AM

I searched for ElectronicCC.com and only found a site for getting a concealed carry permit XD . I didn't see any Panasonic ones on the other site.

#5 lonewolf78

lonewolf78
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 27 October 2019 - 01:01 PM

I took another look at Marrs, and there's Panasonic ones, but it doesn't say what they're for (kind of hard to figure out that page).

#6 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:23 PM

Belt sampler bags are an option, but there's no guarantee they'll have the size you need, and they're usually lower quality. Better to find the right length and get a good one. Do you have a picture of the deck? I can look at my 5010 to see if it's the same. The 5005 isn't listed in the PRB catalog so if you can measure your belt path that would help a lot. Snugly wrap thin wire or non-stretchable string around the belt path. Mark where they overlap with a sharpie and pull it straight to measure it. Subtract 5% for the belt length

#7 lonewolf78

lonewolf78
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

Here's a pic' of the mechanism. I still have the old belt and it measured 8" exactly so probably 7 3/4".

oDdokU6.jpg

#8 lonewolf78

lonewolf78
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 November 2019 - 08:02 PM

Well I rolled the dice and got the RX-5010 belt kit, and it paid off. The smaller belt in the kit was a perfect match, and my ghettoblaster is running again.

#9 Hajidub

Hajidub
  • Members (SA)
  • 96 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

Sorry, my mistake. He works with TT and Cassette belts, but might be able to help you with BB belts. Call him.

http://www.vintage-e...nicbeltkit.aspx

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panasonic, belt, replacement, rx-5005