• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Newclairtone7980

Newclairtone7980
  • Members (SA)
  • 43 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

hi the guy I got this from did a good job with replacement speakers  they fit perfect in unit...he cut 2 wires when speaker  blew the surounds I hooked them up and they work and the tweeters work  so I'm going to get new  rubber  surounds for them...……..what kind of   woofers do you think  these are...…

#2 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

Probably just something he got out of a random 90's mini system he found at Goodwill

Also I'm not understanding why he would cut wires after the surrounds blew. What would that accomplish?  

#3 Newclairtone7980

Newclairtone7980
  • Members (SA)
  • 43 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

he cut the wire so when he turned  it on  it would not sound like crap cause those speakers would come on first then he plug in  other speakers for  sound

#4 Reli

Reli
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,626 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:25 PM

Oh ok

#5 bellarmine

bellarmine
  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:10 PM

Got your messages, replying here as the private message 'conversation' is closed for some reason.  Yes, they look like decent good quality full-range bookshelf speakers.  If you're good at replacing surrounds by all means replace them.  Otherwise just look around for another pair of bookshelf speakers with decent 8" drivers and you'll probably be fine.  You can reconnect them for now if you want, because they should disconnect automatically when you plug in external speakers.

Now, if you would like to upgrade them BETTER than the originals, and buy American, try Item #223670729502 on the 'bay, those will bring the house down, super hi-quality...:o)

Let me know if there's anything else - Cheers!  Bellarmine

#6 Newclairtone7980

Newclairtone7980
  • Members (SA)
  • 43 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:17 AM

hi just got this email still learning how to use this web site thanks for the link on the bay these speakers look nice so they will fit eh  the surrounds look nice  have not heard from the other member about buying the woofers he had   i think i will buy these  cause i know the name    and the ones that are in my jvc i know nothing about then on who makes them ect............so i guess i do the same thing  put the red jvc caps onto these new speaker at least the guy that owned this jvc  put the factory caps back on the speaker that are in mine now............jvc  says  6  0ms   these are 8  oms  what that mean   thanks you so much for the link    

#7 bellarmine

bellarmine
  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:42 AM

You're welcome, yes let me know how it goes.  It should work out fine whichever way you go, new surrounds or the pair of Altec's, glad you know the brand.  I myself would lean towards the Altecs, as I think they're not a bad price, and they'd sound GREAT!  Replacing surrounds can be tricky if you're not careful (you have the get the cones carefully centered and aligned before gluing).  About the 8 vs 6 ohms, that is the nominal 'resistance' of the speaker to the amplifier, 8 ohms is standard for general HiFi equipment.  If JVC says 6 ohms in their specs, then 8 ohms would mean the volume 'might' be a little bit lower at a given volume, should not make a noticeable difference.  Cheers!  Bellarmine

#8 blu_fuz

blu_fuz
  • Moderators
  • 10,508 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:24 AM

have not heard from the other member about buying the woofers he had   

Going to post office today, been very busy here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jvc rc-m90