jvc rc-m90 what kind of woofers are these

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
hi the guy I got this from did a good job with replacement speakers they fit perfect in unit...he cut 2 wires when speaker blew the surounds I hooked them up and they work and the tweeters work so I'm going to get new rubber surounds for them...……..what kind of woofers do you think these are...…

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Probably just something he got out of a random 90's mini system he found at Goodwill

Also I'm not understanding why he would cut wires after the surrounds blew. What would that accomplish?

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
he cut the wire so when he turned it on it would not sound like crap cause those speakers would come on first then he plug in other speakers for sound

bellarmine

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2014
Ontario Canada
Got your messages, replying here as the private message 'conversation' is closed for some reason. Yes, they look like decent good quality full-range bookshelf speakers. If you're good at replacing surrounds by all means replace them. Otherwise just look around for another pair of bookshelf speakers with decent 8" drivers and you'll probably be fine. You can reconnect them for now if you want, because they should disconnect automatically when you plug in external speakers.

Now, if you would like to upgrade them BETTER than the originals, and buy American, try Item #223670729502 on the 'bay, those will bring the house down, super hi-quality...:eek:)

Let me know if there's anything else - Cheers! Bellarmine

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
hi just got this email still learning how to use this web site thanks for the link on the bay these speakers look nice so they will fit eh the surrounds look nice have not heard from the other member about buying the woofers he had i think i will buy these cause i know the name and the ones that are in my jvc i know nothing about then on who makes them ect............so i guess i do the same thing put the red jvc caps onto these new speaker at least the guy that owned this jvc put the factory caps back on the speaker that are in mine now............jvc says 6 0ms these are 8 oms what that mean thanks you so much for the link

bellarmine

Member (SA)
Feb 21, 2014
Ontario Canada
You're welcome, yes let me know how it goes. It should work out fine whichever way you go, new surrounds or the pair of Altec's, glad you know the brand. I myself would lean towards the Altecs, as I think they're not a bad price, and they'd sound GREAT! Replacing surrounds can be tricky if you're not careful (you have the get the cones carefully centered and aligned before gluing). About the 8 vs 6 ohms, that is the nominal 'resistance' of the speaker to the amplifier, 8 ohms is standard for general HiFi equipment. If JVC says 6 ohms in their specs, then 8 ohms would mean the volume 'might' be a little bit lower at a given volume, should not make a noticeable difference. Cheers! Bellarmine

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Newclairtone7980 said:
have not heard from the other member about buying the woofers he had
Going to post office today, been very busy here.