Goldstar 580/581 deck brake issue

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Evening all,
First real project.
Doing up this aka from Nigeria called the President tsr-585. So far replaced the power cap, tweeter caps and worn tape head. There's a problem with the supply spindle - keeps on turning for a bit after pressing stop. Take-up brakes when it should (on rewind). Looks like I'll have to take the upper and lower chassis apart via 6 chunky screws to have a proper look (after undoing the motor mount plate). This is where I get nervous! Will I have bits flying in all directions? Will it be impossible to get back together?
The plastic brake lever appears to operate ok, can't see anything wrong, but then looking at the supply spindle from the side, I see nothing anyway that comes in contact with it when stop is engaged. Maybe this mech doesn't have a brake for the supply??
Also, if anyone knows the exact diameter drive belt for this model that would be handy to know.
Thinking of a mod to the bass circuit too, to extract a bit more bass out. This model has no loudness switch sadly. Any advice on that score much appreciated.

Attachments

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
try different belts first. you can estimate belt sizes if you get a collection of belts together.
look for rubber tyres and give them a clean with a cotton swab. these often start to lose their traction.
take photos as you go and lay out your screws as they are removed so you can put them back where they came from.
if you spot any springs, photo them.
pretty sure a mix of these two will resolve your stop issue.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
docs said:
try different belts first. you can estimate belt sizes if you get a collection of belts together.
look for rubber tyres and give them a clean with a cotton swab. these often start to lose their traction.
take photos as you go and lay out your screws as they are removed so you can put them back where they came from.
if you spot any springs, photo them.
pretty sure a mix of these two will resolve your stop issue.
Thanks Dave! That's a good idea to buy a bunch of cheap belts just for sizing purposes. Still loathe to take this fully apart. Seems like so much has to align properly on reassembly. Don't mind practising on a condemned deck, but this one's a bit rare.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
typically, you don't really need to take it apart too much. If you can get the rear plate off which usually has the motor attached, you may not need to go any further than that. You need to do this as a minimum to reach the belts and replace them anyway. While in that position, look for tyres and give them a clean. Once belts are replaced, put the plate back on and try and leave it out while wired up so you can power it with access to the deck so you can try and see what is occurring if it still does not work.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
docs said:
typically, you don't really need to take it apart too much. If you can get the rear plate off which usually has the motor attached, you may not need to go any further than that. You need to do this as a minimum to reach the belts and replace them anyway. While in that position, look for tyres and give them a clean. Once belts are replaced, put the plate back on and try and leave it out while wired up so you can power it with access to the deck so you can try and see what is occurring if it still does not work.
The motor and it's plate are tethered by no less than 9 wires! I could unscrew it and leave it dangling I guess.
Here's a side pic of the sandwich and the supply spindle marked. Hard to see but nothing comes close to touching it apart from the rewind idler when engaged. I was hoping owners of this model could confirm that their spindle brakes like any other deck should, before I risk total strip-down.
Thanks for your input again, appreciate it.

Attachments

Nickeccles

Member (SA)
Jan 26, 2016
Littlehampton West Sussex
I suspect that this deck maybe doesn't have a brake on the take up spool, this is not uncommon on certain deck mech's - A little annoying yes but if the rest of the stereo works fine then it's likely that a new belt set is all that it needs! I have not seen one of these & the mech is not one I have seen anywhere else either! I would know if I had repaired this deck before & I ain't!!

It's a nice stereo for sure & as I said before these Goldstar models (& their Vcr's too) could have unusual mechanical & electronic assy's & methods a bit different to most of the others out there - a right pain at times trying to u/stand how it works!! It's an unusual deck to my eyes!!

Edit:

I wonder if there are pads mounted on the underside of that large metal plate between the reels? I wouldn't like to remove that - it looks tricky.........

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
You could try popping the lock washers off the spindle assemblies and take a peek under them to see if there's anything amiss.

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Nickeccles said:
I suspect that this deck maybe doesn't have a brake on the take up spool, this is not uncommon on certain deck mech's - A little annoying yes but if the rest of the stereo works fine then it's likely that a new belt set is all that it needs! I have not seen one of these & the mech is not one I have seen anywhere else either! I would know if I had repaired this deck before & I ain't!!

It's a nice stereo for sure & as I said before these Goldstar models (& their Vcr's too) could have unusual mechanical & electronic assy's & methods a bit different to most of the others out there - a right pain at times trying to u/stand how it works!! It's an unusual deck to my eyes!!

Edit:

I wonder if there are pads mounted on the underside of that large metal plate between the reels? I wouldn't like to remove that - it looks tricky.........
cheers Nick, well the jury has returned, and the verdict is NO BRAKE. Kind of surprising on a mech with three leaf swiches and a solenoid and all those tethered wires.
So storm in a teacup. I did remove that plate after taking this photo. A tiny ball bearing goes running off inside the unit, but very luckily it didn't get stuck anywhere. Tricky to re-install!

caution said:
You could try popping the lock washers off the spindle assemblies and take a peek under them to see if there's anything amiss.
You know, being new to this game I've been wondering how they come apart. Just tease off with angled tweezers and they are good to go back? Seem easily damaged. Thanks for the tip

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I use a dental pick with a really sharp point, and wedge it into the underside between the spindle and the washer at a spot near the cut in the washer (if there is one) and pop it off clean. That way, I'm not squeezing it and distorting the washer. You have to keep your hand over it so you can catch it, otherwise they play a mean game of hide and seek.