D8443 No Power to Cassette

smaw0351

Member (SA)
Oct 1, 2019
Virginia
I opened up my box to replace a bad cassette gear. After replacing the gear and testing the cassette controls I noticed that the speed was slower than normal as well as the power light fading and not as bright. Now I'm at the point that the cassette controls don't do anything at all. The motor doesn't spin and the power light does not turn on. The radio still works fine when turning the box on.

Any suggestions on where I should start? Is it likely the motor or the cassette controls?

smaw0351

Member (SA)
Oct 1, 2019
Virginia
So I dropped off my D8443 to a local repair shop. The non-refundable diagnosis fee was $75 with the repair estimate being $300. When I asked what was involved in the $300 repair: "The estimate is for belt and idler replacement. Also lubrication , alignment and switch repair."

Needless to say I'm not moving forward with the repair. Next steps is to take the cassette assembly further apart to get to the switches to further troubleshoot the power problem.

smaw0351

Member (SA)
Oct 1, 2019
Virginia
caution said:
Check the condition of the brown gears, they may be about to break.
yes sir! i did replace the cassette gear a few weeks ago which led to this new power/switch problem :/

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Can be the insulation in the reed or proximity switches this will drag the voltage down and slow the motor. Try a 9v battery on the motor if it spins faster its not the motor. Bypass the switches to confirm or use a good multimeter to test contact to ground.

samovar

Member (SA)
Jun 7, 2014
Italy
So I dropped off my D8443 to a local repair shop. The non-refundable diagnosis fee was $75 with the repair estimate being $300. When I asked what was involved in the $300 repair: "The estimate is for belt and idler replacement. Also lubrication , alignment and switch repair."

Needless to say I'm not moving forward with the repair. Next steps is to take the cassette assembly further apart to get to the switches to further troubleshoot the power problem.
The guy is too pricey in my opinion. With all the inputs that you got from the wonderful members of this forum you should be able to fix the box by yourself :-)