Hello!

smaw0351

Member (SA)
Oct 1, 2019
Virginia
Hey Folks! I'm a new member and wanted to drop in and say hello! I found this site googling how to fix the cassette player on my Magnavox D8443 and now I'm hooked. I found quite a few D8443 posts with modifications I'd like to try myself so I'm sure I'll be reaching out with questions.
Currently my box is not at 100% while I wait for the 3D printed cassette gear to ship. Since I have to open her up to replace the cassette gear anyway, should I replace the 5.25" speakers while I'm in there? I've been looking at 2-way 5.25" 4 ohm car speakers on eBay that are fairly inexpensive. Advise/thoughts?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, smaw!

I would suggest sending a PM to MesaAZGuy regarding new speakers for the D8443. :yes:

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Yeah, I told him on another thread that the speakers I chose do not sound very good despite their awesome appearance. The D8443 amp does not deliver enough power to give them the "proper" sound. I am experimenting with auto zone's replacement stock style car speakers with chrome dust caps. The dust caps I got from a Chinese seller on eBay. The sound is still a little muffled and now I moved on to finding space for tweeters which helps immensely. Still lose out on the bass a tad. I haven't had much time to tinker with it. We are so slammed with work right now. The new radios i got for my collection are slowly building up and just going right on the display shelf until I can get to them for a good cleaning. Of course my diet plan has shrunken me down from 229 to 181. I have another 20 to go before I can even think about the smell of pizza made with Cauliflower crust!

By the way, Welcome to the forum! Believe me, if you're anything like us, it starts with one radio and then you end up picking up a *few* more!
Stick around. The people on this site are just awesome. Always seem to treat each other humanly.

smaw0351

Member (SA)
Oct 1, 2019
Virginia
Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions!! The speaker upgrade is on hold while I try to figure out how I broke my cassette player after replacing the cassette gear. I've already opened a topic in in the D8443 subforum.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
One thing to do whenever you work on any boombox is to take lots of pictures. Pictures have saved me many times before.