Let me know if you have one thanks

Attached File  20190913_171338.jpg   115.53K   1 downloads

#2 MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy
  • Members (SA)
  • 327 posts
  • LocationEast Mesa Arizona Witness Protection Program

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

Did they sell the one you were looking at?

#3 stereomann

stereomann
  • Members (SA)
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:20 AM

don't know yet i won't go there until friday

that goodwill is about 30mins from me

#4 stereomann

stereomann
  • Members (SA)
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

I got it for 17.50

#5 MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy
  • Members (SA)
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

Good for you! Patience sometimes works best! 

#6 stereomann

stereomann
  • Members (SA)
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:19 PM

yes that is true

it does sound good

now i have to figure out whats wrong with the tuner display sometimes i can get it to work correctly when i press on it in a certain spot maybe a loose solder joint

cd player does work but it does not like certain cd-r disc some sound staticky

i'm guessing tape player needs belts

i wont really know until i take it apart

but i left it in the garage for now i don't want to bring it in the house yet

#7 MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy
  • Members (SA)
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:30 PM

I leave all my purchases in the garage and slowly introduce them to my unassuming wife... The other day I had my latest purchase a Sanyo M9990 playing on the bench while working on the Magnavox. We were heading out and she casually came over and just found the correct button on the Sanyo to turn it off. Never occurred to her that it was another radio on the bench! LOL She was a natural finding the correct button which impressed me the most. Almost as if I had that unit for years.

I imagine your radio would sound good based on the speaker enclosures. Looks like a fun project. It cosmetically looks really decent. 

#8 stereomann

stereomann
  • Members (SA)
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:11 AM

I've heard that the Sanyo M9990 has very good sound. i think most Sanyo/Fisher boxes sound good and are built good also

what's the model of the Maganvox you are working on?

JVC Floyd had a admiral like mine and he said the woofers are good in it and he used them in another boombox he had.

I guess it must be a rare model i can not find anything about it online

it was made in 1993 so it might not be as cool looking as an 80's boombox but some people say the 90's ones sounded better.

when i clean it up some more i will post more pictures of it

#9 MesaAZGuy

MesaAZGuy
  • Members (SA)
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

Well, all I can say is start stocking up on 90's radios. Give them a few years and the next generation will be looking for them. You can retire on the sale then! I think the general consensus is that in the 90's more electronics were coming out of China than Japan and thus quality started cheapening. Today almost everything electronic comes out of China. Not that its necessarily a bad thing, but we all know that Japan owned the market in quality and longevity when we were young. I never thought to buy a Magnavox, RCA, or American brand back then. You always turned to a Japanese name. I have the three speaker Magnavox D8443. Needed some new clear windows made and a really good cleaning.

I did look up your radio and didn't come up with anything. It would be interesting to know the history of where Admiral decided to jump from refrigerators to electronics. Admiral was a respected name in the 70's with appliances. You should think of yours as a rare model :)