Hello World

4bar

Sep 16, 2019
Hello to all,

New to the forum, typing from the north west of England. Just old enough to remember 'Boomboxes' carried around on the streets but never had one myself... I have a few now that have mostly been rescued from destruction:

Sharp GF-8989- saved from going to the tip. Good condition and radio works well after rebuild. It is missing the complete tape deck so if anyone has one let me know!

Hitachi TRK-8080e - a work in progress. Mostly rebuilt with new belts but need to fully strip and clean the tape deck as something is tight. No sound from tape also but radio superb. Hopefully this one will soon be 100% operational.

Toshiba RT-9000s. Needs belts and has an intermittent electrical fault but hope this is just a bad contact. Next to be rebuilt...

Sony Earth Orbiter - not strictly a boombox as such but a work of art.

Several interesting examples of audio separates including a Technics SU-V90D and a very early (1974) Technics receiver.

Also got a Sony DD3 Walkman which I put a new centre gear in. What a job.

With the exception of the Earth Orbiter, I think all of my audio equipment has been rescued (free!) or bought with known faults (cheap!). The satisfaction you get from making a pile of dirty plastic, metal and paper work again is just great.

Intention is to start threads relating to a couple of the above boxes.

You have amassed quite a library of information on this forum so hopefully I can contribute in some way. As well as get a bit of advice regarding my boxes.

Thanks

Jay

Northerner

Member (SA)
Apr 16, 2012
North West UK
Welcome to the forum all the way from...the north west of England lol :-)

You’ve amassed a lot of vintage audio there...no idea what an earth orbiter is tho lol

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, Jay! That's a nice introduction too. :yes: Congrats on repairing the Sony DD3. I've read that the DD series are somewhat irksome to work on.

4bar

Sep 16, 2019
Thanks and good to see a 'local' on this forum. An Earth Orbiter is an amazing, over engineered, multi-band radio. Mono only but throws the most detailed and sincere music at you. I love it. When I work out how to post pictures I'll start a dedicated thread...

Yes the DD3 was a bit of a challenge. You know when you start something and you really wish you hadn't? Works beautifully now so worth the pain. Also just bought an Aiwa PX that I felt sorry for.

I'm OK with mechanical stuff but unless it's a dirty contact, electrical problems baffle me.

Cheers

Jay