Trident CX-473F or AKA Service Manual? Cap help.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
I've got one of these coming next, bought from someone who recapped it but ended up doing something wrong and I'll need to get some resources together if possible for someone else to look at. The direct quote from the seller:

"no one new what was wrong with it,,,, I took it apart and noticed swollen capacitors,,, put new ones in same as what was in there,,, then I couldn't help myself, and put in as many as I could,,, did that, put it back together,,,, nearly dropped dead,,, it turned on and it sounded awesome,,, beautiful,,, then dumb ass me thought I'd finish the Jobe and put in a few I didn't put in first time,, did that, put it back together,,, turned it on,,,, made a funny noise, I strait away turned it of,,,, haven't triad it since,"

Please forgive his english, but yes, this is all I'm going off.

Is there any documentation I can go off for this? Hunted around and found nothing apart from Jovie's old post about replacing them.

I know this sounds like a nightmare situation, but I'd given up ever getting this model and it's the only one I've ever seen in .au so I had to jump on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Rock On.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I'd take it apart first and inspect his work, he said he didn't bother opening it again after it didn't work. Could be something minor?

How does the soldering look on the new cap leads? Any bridging from too much, or opens from missed leads?
Are any unclipped, posing a short risk?
Did any accidentally get into a nearby (wrong) hole?

It's possible he forget to install a new cap after removing the old one, see if any open spots for caps have recently soldered pads.
Might be good to check for reversals but it's doubtful that caused the malfunction.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Rick I have a complete amp board for one of these also the tuner section so if all else fails I'll give you the parts just pay shipping.

I know the parts are good I tore it down because I was going to use those parts in a custom box lol.

I even added line in rca jacks to the board.

I live in the the usa but on the east coast closer to you by a hair lol .

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Thanks gents!

Caution: Mm I'll give it a going over and close inspection, I'm hoping he can at least tell me the last place on the boards he was working on when it failed too. Will definitely go through all your suggestions, thanks!

That's awesome, Floyd!! It's great to know there's that option, thank you!

Should be here mid next week, will post when I've some more info!

Rock On.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
Well, she arrived and after a little bit of time and deep thinking the diagnosis ended up being a simple fix! The give away was the deck was always turning (although it was rebelted) and none of the button functions were responding and it looked like it was going in the wrong direction.

After plugging and unplugging some deck connections I found the wires from the motor connected to main board bare and figured this would be an easy thing to get around the wrong way. Put them in the other way around and now it's all rockin! There was a little hum that went away after maybe 15 seconds? Maybe the new caps he put in settling down? But that's all! Can't believe I managed to sort it out, was prepared for all manner of screwing around to get her back up and running cause she's in like new condition cosmetically.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be running in mono all the time, regardless of the mode selector's position. Can't get the FM stereo LED to light either... any ideas about that? Yet to do a proper stereo test though as I need to find my RISING 20/20 aux adaptor first.

Thanks for the help, rockers! Will be photographing her up and posting soon.

Some more testing and definitely mono in all modes and inputs.

Also through headphones.
Cleaned the Mode and Function switches, doesn't sound like the problem's with them.

Could this be something on the board?

I don't think I've encountered this problem, I've had lots of boxes with left or right channels weaker or missing, but not balanced mono on everything.

The balance control does work, Mono/Stereo/Wide all sound identical. Haha, still sounds great in mono however!

Rock On.