New red BB from NATIONAL

yammi99

Member (SA)
Jun 13, 2018
Germany
I like the old boomboxes in red color. Recently I could catch a new one – the NATIONAL RX-FW50 from mid of the 80’s. The description told, it is probably not correct working and the pictures did not clear show the optical status. So, I expected the usual piece, full of dust bunnies with melted belts.
But what a surprise! It was like coming out of a time capsule. It is clean and shiny, no dust visible, no scratches. And the best is – both decks are working. Also the foam material at the speakers is alright. Normally it fell in decay.
The BB looks like coming from last month’s production.

It has full feather touch control and a timer for different operations. Also, a quite rare feature for boomboxes is included – “Blank skip”. The sound is not that towering, but it is a nice piece for the kitchen or the bathroom.

National RX-FW50 a_ji.jpg
National RX-FW50 e_ji.jpg
National RX-FW50 c_ji.jpg

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
just think what they could do back then...now we have the technology and they just build shite.

lovely looking box congrats

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Rimmer36 said:
just think what they could do back then...now we have the technology and they just build shiteee.

lovely looking box congrats
Thats because the new generation is busy playing with their phones rather than engineering marvels. I agree with you though. Seems like we stepped back some. You'd think the new tape players would have nicer tech but we get one piece of shiteee Chinese one size fits all. It really is too bad. I am still amazed at the Sony walkman that was the size of a cassette box. The tech in that should have been exponentially improved over the last 30 some years. Alas, that is not the case.

retroclub

Member (SA)
Jan 25, 2019
Nice buy. That's a cracking looking mini and the red and chrome are nice together. :cool:
I'm guessing that was quite expensive when it was new judging by the features on it?