• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,176 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

Just bought a mint SONY CFS 99 locally and found that the left channel is very weak.

Fixed the deck, and now the problem is a weaker left channel.

I cleaned all the sliders and the record bar, but still the left channel (left one when you face the box) is very weak.

Also I cleaned the headphone jack as usual. It is weak on radio and tape. The VU works perfect on both channels. 

Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated. 

#2 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:10 PM

Royce check the caps on the amp board . I know that's a generic response but I seen many an amp go south because caps on the amp board are bad even if they look OK.

I have 3 super expensive car amps sitting around because I can't afford to recap them all.
The usual sign of the caps failure is weakened sound output mixed with distortion.

#3 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,176 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Floyd! The design of this box is not user friendly to work on. The front face cover with speakers needs come out from bottom when the top section is kind of on slots locked in place and controls on top also grabbing it n it. What a dumb design! With some pain i fixed the cassette and later realized the weak channel issue. So many caps and need to check one by one and see which are bad ones. I need to get the schematics also. Didn’t break anything so far and got the feel of removing the face cover.

#4 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,978 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:28 PM

Royce is channel weak with Headphones too? My crown 950 had channel issues to. Turned out headphones jack was messed up and traces going to one of the speaker jacks were bad.

#5 BoomboxLover48

BoomboxLover48
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 5,176 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

Royce is channel weak with Headphones too? My crown 950 had channel issues to. Turned out headphones jack was messed up and traces going to one of the speaker jacks were bad.

Thanks Bill, I was about to check that and lost the adapter somewhere in the house. I will check that tomorrow. It is weak on sound when the right one blasts. So I loved the balance all the way to the left and checked it and found the volume was slowly increasing, but weak.