JVC Rc-880

scottish_cdn

Member (SA)
Sep 9, 2019
hi

I'm new to the site and just picked up a JVC - rc-880C. I love the look and it's much bigger than I expected.

I only plan to use it for the radio which does work but I'm only getting sound from the right speaker. I can hear both power on when I hit the power button but can hear sound only from the right. Sometimes when I lift it the left appears to kick in but doesn't. I opened the back but can't see any lose wires to that speaker. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

love this site and hope to get some more boomboxes :-)

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
We have a tech section which helps with issues. Most issues with these units is sitting for many years collecting dirt and humidity causing the switches and pots issues. The best thing is to clean these with an electronics contact cleaner by spraying into them and working them back and forth for a while. You will need to open unit to get to these. I also recommend cleaning up inside of unit.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, scottish_cdn! I will second what Bill posted regarding the switches. Cleaning switches and potentiometers (pots) is usually the first place to start when bringing these old boomboxes back to life. There are many topics about using contact cleaner such as DeOxit. You don't need to spray a lot, and always give a few minutes after cleaning before powering on again.