JVC- DC7 metal speaker grill/glue removal

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi All.

I have picked up a JVC DC7 for restoration.
I really want to be able to completely restore the speaker cabinets. I have manageed to get off the front plastic speak cover however they have a metal grill/mess that has been glued into the plastic front.

I really want to be able to take the grills out so that I can retore them, one has some dents and they also need respraying.
Plus I want to be able to fill and respray the plastic covers themselves, which I cant really do to a good enough quality with the grills in place.

Any ideas on how I may be able to soften or disolve the glue enouth the remove the grills without melting the plastic and trashing the grills as I really want to reuse them?

There is a small channel around the edge of the grill so I am hoping that there may be some kind of solvent that I can use that will react with the glue but not the plastic (long shot I know).

Was also thinking of cutting the grill out, but this is a risky approach, really dont want to danage the plastic cover and not sure I would be able to fabricate a new grill that would look good enough.

any ideas?

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
Hi all.
So after trying. Few things with no luck I decided to bite the bullet and have cut the grills out. Which slowed me to pull them out of the glue. Not ideal but the plastic covers are fine which is the most important part. I will just have the fabricate new metal mesh grills.