RC-525 Motor or Capstan

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
Hi All,

My 525 capstan motor keeps getting stuck. When I manually spin the spindle on the capstan it starts to work. I added some lubrication and checked belt. I think it is a dead spot with motor and looking to purchase a replacement if needed. I noticed the motor leads connect to a capacitor (see photo). The motor / capacitor connect to transformer leads. Could this be the capacitor not providing the initial charge to the motor?

I tend to think not because my 550 had the same motor problem which was fixed once I swapped out the motor. But the 550 motor wasn't connected to a capacitor like this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
The capacitor don’t charge motor. The capacitor job is to be charged and discharged as needed. Your motor might need to be cleaned up good on inside otherwise you can just replace it.

BassHead

Member (SA)
May 5, 2018
St Petersburg, FL
ok thanks Bill. I think I'll go the new motor route :lol: but I might see if I can open it up first to understand the components. I'll check the site to see if I see anyone going through this process. If I replace new, I can always give the motor to a member that might be able to use it.

Jorge...who I don't see on here anymore as I believe he may have been impacted by the SoCAL fires...GAVE me the 550 motor to replace my old one...in addition to sending me antennae shims. The 550 has become my go to box because of him. It was a used motor that he refurbished and he sent me some photos that I'll take a look at. It would be cool if I could fix my current motor instead of spending $60 on a new one.