• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 kingsumo

kingsumo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:27 AM

hi guys,

I always wanted a boombox, but those prices kept me away, the other day on the eve of my birthday, i randomly stumbled upon a seller of a larsen super jumbo, the radio raheem one, for 30 euros. Was pretty sure it was a scam but it actually wasnt! needs fixing of course, woofers are banged and the eq and volumes controls are very noisy but im very happy, aux in and tape still works!

Are the woofers replaceable ?They look very cheap, wonder if i could use some better ones.

Attached Files

#2 Brutus442

Brutus442
  • Members (SA)
  • 811 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:06 AM

Congrats! A classic boombox is a great first purchase. Build shelving now.....you're not going to stop collecting now. It's a certifiable sickness.

Welcome aboard!

#3 kingsumo

kingsumo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Brutus!

Damn right, im hooked now, reading as much as i can about other classic boxes, im a hip hop fanatic and its hard to resist the urge to own some of those...

#4 Timecop1987

Timecop1987
  • Members (SA)
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

Welcome! great start for collecting!

I like the look of the SuperJumbo without the grills  :cool:

With a little patience you'll find the missing parts around here - and for the crushed dustcap: these are quite easy to fix (i for my self bought a complete set of dustcaps with special glue via eBay). on the other hand you could also replace them - just find woofers with the same size (i believe the SuperJumbo features 8" (20CM) woofers and of course they need to have the same impedance (Ohm-rating))

#5 kingsumo

kingsumo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

Lol, yeah the missing grills dont look bad, but the guy packaged it poorly and so that dustcap was pushed in, right woofer was already broken. I found a couple of grills on ebay already. Lots to learn anyway.

#6 retroclub

retroclub
  • Members (SA)
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:45 AM

Nice box kingsumo and welcome.  I'm new on here too and this is a great forum.  The knowelege and skill of the seasoned collectors on here is awesome.

And yeah like other have said, once you start collecting it becomes an addiction.

I'm already up to 3 boxes and I only started collecting this year 2019.  :)

Happy box hunting. :)

#7 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:43 PM

Excellent first box! You gone LARGE!!

These sound great so personally I’d fix the speakers and keep them original :-)

#8 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Russia - Oxford, GB

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:51 PM

Congrats!  :yes:  :w00t:  :thumbsup:

#9 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,525 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

I would fix the speakers , you can glue the tear in the cone and use a vacuum hose to pull the dust cap out. These woofers have big magnets and and long throw voice coils so there pretty happy in there when their working right .

#10 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,986 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:34 PM

Very nice but speakers don’t look original

#11 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,525 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

Sorry to disagree but those are the original speaker , the dust cap size alone is enough to tell. These have the second biggest dustcaps of any box next to the gf 777 middle speakers which have the largest chrome caps of any box.

Plus with the ribbed cones and inverted surround those are the original speakers.

#12 kingsumo

kingsumo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:44 AM

yeah, maybe the missing grills can be deceiving, i gotta say that there must be something wrong cause even tho i know that these huge boxes dont sound as good as the older ones, the sound lacks bass and its very mids oriented.. eq seem to shape sound very little.

#13 kingsumo

kingsumo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:43 PM

In the meantime got this absolute beauty, i know i know, im addicted. These 2 couldnt be more different. One is all style, while this is pure substance. In love.

Attached Files

#14 baddboybill

baddboybill
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 10,986 posts
  • LocationHudson Florida

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

Sorry to disagree but those are the original speaker , the dust cap size alone is enough to tell. These have the second biggest dustcaps of any box next to the gf 777 middle speakers which have the largest chrome caps of any box.

Plus with the ribbed cones and inverted surround those are the original speakers.

Ok after blowing pic up it does look like black cone, just badly faded. When first looking at pic without blowing up it looks like white cones!!! That was why I thought they were not original. ;-)

#15 Brutus442

Brutus442
  • Members (SA)
  • 811 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:27 PM

In the meantime got this absolute beauty, i know i know, im addicted. These 2 couldnt be more different. One is all style, while this is pure substance. In love.

Well that didn't take long!

The Telefunken is a centerpiece of many collections. Well done, you've got youself a bonafide grail!

#16 retroclub

retroclub
  • Members (SA)
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

lol, well done kingsumo.  That's one serious looking box.

Love it!!

#17 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

Two corkers! I know the Telefunken is a far better machine but I’d take the J1 every day of the week :-)

#18 Rimmer36

Rimmer36
  • Members (SA)
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:56 PM

2 great boxes there dude, it doesn't get any better than the funken. congrats

#19 Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, Russia - Oxford, GB

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

Wow, Funken!  :yes:

#20 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,156 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:08 AM

Two corkers! I know the Telefunken is a far better machine but I’d take the J1 every day of the week :-)

I'm with Si, the J1 is a special box and definitely my fave of the two.

I have loads of J1 spares so we'll talk if you find there is bits you need :)

#21 kingsumo

kingsumo
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:05 PM

Oh definitely man, I'll need all the help, bits I can get. Already got grills from someone on ebay who i later found out is also a member here lol.

#22 Transistorized

Transistorized
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:30 AM

Way to go! Starting off with the grail boxes I see  :yes: ...and the 2 I do not have :drool: . That Telefunken is the bomb.  It truly is an addiction.  :ebay:

#23 brothermartino

brothermartino
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Locationboloville, italy

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

aah been lookin for the funken for long now.. missed a couple very chep for a tiny lil bit :-( and prices are gettin high :-(((

aaaaal good tho, both lovely, my buddy luigi got a super jumbo as u can see in my avatar, pretty fattt