Hi everybody, i just scored my first boombox! EDIT: and 2nd

kingsumo

Member (SA)
Aug 12, 2019
hi guys,

I always wanted a boombox, but those prices kept me away, the other day on the eve of my birthday, i randomly stumbled upon a seller of a larsen super jumbo, the radio raheem one, for 30 euros. Was pretty sure it was a scam but it actually wasnt! needs fixing of course, woofers are banged and the eq and volumes controls are very noisy but im very happy, aux in and tape still works!

Are the woofers replaceable ?They look very cheap, wonder if i could use some better ones.

Attachments

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Congrats! A classic boombox is a great first purchase. Build shelving now.....you're not going to stop collecting now. It's a certifiable sickness.

Welcome aboard!

kingsumo

Member (SA)
Aug 12, 2019
Thanks Brutus!

Damn right, im hooked now, reading as much as i can about other classic boxes, im a hip hop fanatic and its hard to resist the urge to own some of those...

Timecop1987

Member (SA)
Jul 24, 2017
Welcome! great start for collecting!

I like the look of the SuperJumbo without the grills :cool:

With a little patience you'll find the missing parts around here - and for the crushed dustcap: these are quite easy to fix (i for my self bought a complete set of dustcaps with special glue via eBay). on the other hand you could also replace them - just find woofers with the same size (i believe the SuperJumbo features 8" (20CM) woofers and of course they need to have the same impedance (Ohm-rating))

kingsumo

Member (SA)
Aug 12, 2019
Lol, yeah the missing grills dont look bad, but the guy packaged it poorly and so that dustcap was pushed in, right woofer was already broken. I found a couple of grills on ebay already. Lots to learn anyway.

retroclub

Member (SA)
Jan 25, 2019
Nice box kingsumo and welcome. I'm new on here too and this is a great forum. The knowelege and skill of the seasoned collectors on here is awesome.
And yeah like other have said, once you start collecting it becomes an addiction.
I'm already up to 3 boxes and I only started collecting this year 2019. :)

Happy box hunting. :)

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I would fix the speakers , you can glue the tear in the cone and use a vacuum hose to pull the dust cap out. These woofers have big magnets and and long throw voice coils so there pretty happy in there when their working right .

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Sorry to disagree but those are the original speaker , the dust cap size alone is enough to tell. These have the second biggest dustcaps of any box next to the gf 777 middle speakers which have the largest chrome caps of any box.

Plus with the ribbed cones and inverted surround those are the original speakers.

kingsumo

Member (SA)
Aug 12, 2019
yeah, maybe the missing grills can be deceiving, i gotta say that there must be something wrong cause even tho i know that these huge boxes dont sound as good as the older ones, the sound lacks bass and its very mids oriented.. eq seem to shape sound very little.

kingsumo

Member (SA)
Aug 12, 2019
In the meantime got this absolute beauty, i know i know, im addicted. These 2 couldnt be more different. One is all style, while this is pure substance. In love.

Attachments

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
JVC Floyd said:
Sorry to disagree but those are the original speaker , the dust cap size alone is enough to tell. These have the second biggest dustcaps of any box next to the gf 777 middle speakers which have the largest chrome caps of any box.

Plus with the ribbed cones and inverted surround those are the original speakers.
Ok after blowing pic up it does look like black cone, just badly faded. When first looking at pic without blowing up it looks like white cones!!! That was why I thought they were not original. ;-)

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
kingsumo said:
In the meantime got this absolute beauty, i know i know, im addicted. These 2 couldnt be more different. One is all style, while this is pure substance. In love.
Well that didn't take long!

The Telefunken is a centerpiece of many collections. Well done, you've got youself a bonafide grail!

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Northerner said:
Two corkers! I know the Telefunken is a far better machine but I’d take the J1 every day of the week :-)
I'm with Si, the J1 is a special box and definitely my fave of the two.

I have loads of J1 spares so we'll talk if you find there is bits you need :)