Where to tap in for power for LED and Bluetooth addons

dan

Member (SA)
Apr 6, 2019
i've been using the X505 power rail to power my leds and bluetooth through the brown lamp wire but i'm not really that happy with it. if you start drawing more than around 100mA from this circuit the X505 transistor starts to heat up. start using the cassette deck and you get more heat. if you run the M70 off of 12vdc, the autostop solenoid could sometimes not get enough current and could be sluggish to engage.

i was thinking were else you can grab power from that would provide more current and not affect other aspects of the system that could also be switched off with the system's power button.

how about directly across the positive and negative of the main filter cap C520? there's no voltage here when the power switch is off and it seems it could provide a good current source. obviously if you tie in at this point, you would need some stable voltage regulation downstream before you can connect your bluetooth and leds.

now, could there be any problems if you tap in at this point?

other points i have thought about tapping into are the lines going to CN501, the positive and negative coming from the rectified output of the transformer. the only thing i don't like about this point is that it is always live, even when the unit is switched off.

what are your thoughts?