Got an X-Maxx

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
....broke it in 15 minutes.

20190714_173642.jpg

but it sure was fun while it lasted. Always been a nitro guy. This is my first electric. Drove my T-Maxx around for 2 hours after my new X-Maxx kicked the bucket.

It'll be back up hopefully next week. It's a beast :-) Yes...that's a 20oz bottle of Coke below:

20190712_212033.jpg

20190712_180201.jpg

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Superduper said:
Big toys for big kids.
It's a money pit but when it's working it's a Tim Allen (home improvement) grunt moment when you squeeze the trigger and it erupts into a wheel stand that goes for as long as you keep the hammer down. An electric motors torque is astonishing. 25lbs of 8s 50C burst 6700mAh Lipo RC machine and 100% torque on tap at 0 RPM. After that....when it breaks, you just about rush to the hobby store for more parts... :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
I’m more of a tamiya guy, prefer more scale accurate looks. I still have my bruiser from when I was in school as well as BNIB juggernaut-2 & clodbuster. Oh and I also have a king hauler with that huge aluminum trailer... it’s like 4’ long, lol. Don’t play with any of them anymore though but they sure look good in a display cabinet. Also when photographed just right, they look like real vehicles.

lupogtiboy

Member (SA)
Aug 31, 2018
Surrey UK
I prefer electric personally but I can see the appeal of nitro. I have been an avid collector of Tamiya RC for quite a few years and have quite a few in my container!

DSC06019.JPG

I miss not being able to tinker around with them, it's the mechanical side I like best, stripping them down and rebuilding or modifying. I haven't built any for a good 2 or 3 years since my nan passed away and everything went into storage, meaning I don't have anywhere to mess about anymore. My favourite runner was my modified Tamiya CC-01 Pajero with a Landrover LR3 bodyshell, raised suspension, working winch and homemade LED lights.

20140608_185924.jpg

I still have a few kits to build stored away that I will get round to one-day! Including another one of these:

DSC06185.JPG

DSC06182.JPG

I do have a few Nitro cars too, but I just find they are noisy, messy and very fussy when trying to get them started and running correctly.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
^^^ That is quite a collection you have there ^^^ :jawdrop:

The first machine I ever owned was the Original Duratrax Street Force GP. It's a vintage machine now that's hard to find parts for.

This ugly thing took me most of my younger adult life to get it to where it would go straight with a big honking motor. As a kid I always thought bigger was better. In some ways, I guess I still do but I learned that you have to get the power to weight ratio correct and balance the power. I put this huge motor on thinking that I was going to rule the roost when I raced my friend. All it would do was doughnuts. Couldn't get it to go straight to save my a$$. I learned that power is only part of the equation :-)

Fast forward many years. A few years ago, I made it my mission to fiddle with the gearing and differential slippage, clutch settings, etc..until I could get the power under control and make it as fast as I could. It's still about what you would imagine when you nail it. It's like trying to control an estes model rocket engine. You have to fight the steering wheel the whole time. I don't run it much because with this huge ars motor it breaks too many vintage hard to get parts and I can't keep my finger out of the throttle when it get it out...lol.

Here are a few speed runs 2 years ago when I last got it out. It has a two speed transmission and an 18 OS engine but due to the torque of the motor, it pretty much just hops into 2nd when you nail it..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6nP93EyAY&feature=youtu.be

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
MesaAZGuy said:
That is so cool! Whats the 0-60 time? .78 sec??!
:lol: That sounds about right :-)

Superduper said:
Looks like fun, goes faster than the cars on the street, lol. Unfortunately it goes so fast that each run is so short lived as a mere 2 seconds go by and it’s already too far to see and needs to come back.
Thanks Norm. Unless traffic is slowing for a turning vehicle, the speed limit is 55 on that main road. Although most go 60 or above. The section of the video where I would race the cars on the street didn't show up well and would quickly disappear out of frame without a camera man, so it got cut from the YouTube feed. A few folks about crashed their real cars when they'd come thundering down the rd at 55 or 60 and this little tiny toy meets them idle at a complete stop, lets them get a little in front and then whizzes by them in the p-lot like they are standing still...lol. You could see the drivers and passengers with their fingers pointing and mouths open like :jawdrop:

Happy to report that the X-Maxx is up again. Lets see if I can keep it together for more than 15 minutes next go round.

My black cat crossed it's path. Hoping that since the cat is mine, the bad luck it normally brings others is null and void.
20190722_190552.jpg

milosancho

Member (SA)
Jun 2, 2009
Central Coast, California
Love the smell and sound of nitro. I miss this hobby and am always thinking of getting back into it. Then I remember the time and expense of it all. If I ever do, I would definitely go with electric. Massive improvements to the technology involved (brushless motors and much better batteries) since I had my Traxxas T-Maxx and HPI RS4. Spent so much time tuning the motor and replacing parts.

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Dang!!!

So.... maybe 7-10 years ago my buddy had the T-MAXX, only used it like twice, then we took our real vehicles to an offroad park. During a break he brought out the T-MAXX. Within 30 seconds he rolled it in the only puddle around, (1 foot across) and it was done. He rebuilt the motor but never ran and never bothered fixing it.

Just sold it last weekend for like $110.

neanderthal

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2016
I was this >< close to buying a 1/10th scale Land Rover Defender 110 crawler kit and customising it to Camel Trophy status.

Then I caught a few YouTube videos. :drool: :jawdrop: I was only saved by my not having worked since February.

https://youtu.be/75mMMo0jltM

trippy1313

Member (SA)
Jul 16, 2013
Seattle-Tacoma, WA
Maybe it's just me, but those rock crawlers look really cool, but I feel with how slow they are that they might get boring way faster. The video looks really cool, like a real car, but if I can walk faster than it's top speed.... I dunno. Maybe I'd have to try one myself.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
milosancho said:
I miss this hobby and am always thinking of getting back into it. Then I remember the time and expense of it all.
Sometimes I go to the local hobby shop and get caught up by all the cool models and accessories, but then shaken out of my trance by the prices. I remember dropping way more cash on upgrades for my car than I paid for it back in the '80s. I had a Hornet but the other kids on my street had a Grasshopper, Frog, Hot Shot, Kyosho Optima, RC/10... those were some good times. The hobby shop had a nice track out back and would go to races at malls. I'd use the golf course's sand traps behind our house back in '88/'89, take a divot sign and plant it at an angle for jumping.

I remember being tempted to get a second one, a new model (I think Tamiya) that people starting to get, it was taking people to town on the track with its wider tires and wheelbase. Wish I could remember what it was called, nothing seems to match from Tamiya. Anyway, computer/audio/bicycle stuff is expensive when you're 17 and unemployed, so I ended up sinking my money into those hobbies and never got back into it.

hornet1.jpg
hornet2.jpg
hornet3.jpg
Hornet4.jpg
Hornet5.jpg
hornet6.jpg
hornet7.jpg

lupogtiboy

Member (SA)
Aug 31, 2018
Surrey UK
Great action pics! Reminds me of the official Tamiya adverts that used to run on the TV's in Beatties in the UK, I'd stand there for ages watching them tumble about the screen, wishing I could afford to buy one! I'm more than making up for it these days though!