New from Alessandria!

Astor Mingus

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2019
Alessandria - Italy
Hi, guys!

I was searching for this self presentation topic since last week, but I could find it only today! :blush:

I am from the North West of Italy and I am a boomboxes lover since I was a teen boy...and this happened in the '80s. Yes, I am a old 80s boy. :-)

Since then, I bought some boomboxes, but I liked to take them on the street to share my music with other and this was very fun.

My first boombox was a Phonola (a Philips brand) Compo TR4883 and now it only works for the radio function, because the cassette mechanism doesn't work anymore.
(Philips chosen an amber material to build some gears that it melted by time and I changed this gear with a 3D printed one, but then the plastic frame has broken too and now I keep the boombox as it is.)

I do apologize for my bad English, but I am very glad to be here.

Astor

Astor Mingus

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2019
Alessandria - Italy
MesaAZGuy said:
Welcome to the site! My avatar pic is my first radio in '82.
Wow, I bought my Phonola in 1983. I can still remember the first song on air as soon I switched on the radio FM: "You are in the army now"...and then I really was a soldier during my mandatory army service, in that moment I was on my bed among other soldiers like me: a frozen climate goes down for a few seconds! :lol:

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Hard to believe how fast time and life went since then. I was 12 at the time and didn't have any responsibilities other than making sure I ate all of moms cooking no matter how much I hated it! Today i miss her and her cooking. Life cycle! Anyway, good to have you here!

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, Astor. Boomboxery moderator, Lasonic TRC-920, is currently living in Napoli. Maybe the two of you can get together for a mini-meet. :yes: :cool:

Astor Mingus

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2019
Alessandria - Italy
Fatdog said:
Welcome aboard, Astor. Boomboxery moderator, Lasonic TRC-920, is currently living in Napoli. Maybe the two of you can get together for a mini-meet. :yes: :cool:
Thank you for your tip! It can be a good idea in a next future. :yes:

This tip puts a question in my brain: is there a topic where someone is explaining how a "normal" boomboxes meeting can be organized?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Astor Mingus said:
This tip puts a question in my brain: is there a topic where someone is explaining how a "normal" boomboxes meeting can be organized?
We have a main section for Boombox Meets with a subsection for UK and Europe. There really is no "explanation" for how to organize a meet other than start talking about it and see what kind of interest you get. :yes:

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
to forum.
I have 2 philips boomboxes, that have the same mechanism. My still works.
I open my philips to clean it and saw this mechanism and know how hard is to repair this gears.

Astor Mingus

Member (SA)
Jul 13, 2019
Alessandria - Italy
Fatdog said:
We have a main section for Boombox Meets with a subsection for UK and Europe. There really is no "explanation" for how to organize a meet other than start talking about it and see what kind of interest you get. :yes:
Thanks! :thumbsup: