Can tweeter caps affect the bass response?

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi

So finally decided to experiment with new tweeter caps for my Goldstar tsr581 aka. Replaced the bulging old 4.7uF 50v with a pair of Monacor hifi 4.7s rated at 250v. Yeah, a bit over the top I know, but curiosity got the better of me, and they're only a shade over £2 each. Previously the box had a really brash treble - you had to turn the control to -2 for acceptability, and even then it was hard to listen to. Sounded distorted in quite a funky way, but ultimately just too much for the ear.

With the Monacors - polypropylene film caps - the treble now sounds free of distortion, smooth and sounds great at the treble control mid-point. Only thing is the bass in the woofers has gone walkabouts! Huh???

Can anyone shine some light on this phenomenomenon?
cheers

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
I would check the polarity of the wires going In to the speakers, also de
soldering the cap to see if the problem persists.

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Two possible causes:

1. One driver out of phase with the other. Check the positive and negative connections are the same for both drivers.

2. Both drivers and tweeters have both been wired to the capacitor so the lows have been filtered for both the drivers and tweeters.

My guess is number 1 option is most likely. :-)

thinkchronicity

Member (SA)
Jul 5, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thankyou both. It's puzzling as all I did was a straight swap of the caps, so it can't be either of those reasons. I've bought some electrolytic ones to try next. Tempting to fit capacitor sockets and trial a whole load of caps! Finding this very interesting.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Check the impedance of the tweeters with a multi meter. The woofers should be connected directly to the amp with the tweeters in parallel, you may have unwittingly connected in series.