I saw a Lasonic TRC 920 new

Wally

Mar 6, 2019
Phoenix
While doing my weekly scroll of vintage boombox on ebay, I ran across a still new in plastic, in box with manuals and the nine yards.
Do you guys think a 10k price tag is going to dictate a rise in the market value of our high end boxes?

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Having the original packaging doesn't mean the radio was never used. It just means they were intelligent and held onto the packaging in case they needed something to pack the radio for moving.

Also, it's easy to re-print the labels and manuals, and the plastic too, trying to make them look original.

hemiguy2006

Member (SA)
May 5, 2009
The Ebay marketplace has become so ridiculous.
Makes me sick that everyone thinks that they are sitting on a darn goldmine anymore.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Enjoy em while you can because in 20 more years these boomboxes will become more fragile than rice paper . that's part of the reason I won't pay too much for one unless its built with wood and metal . these 1 piece plastic boxes are just waiting for the right moment to self destruct.

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Redchenko... delusional person trying to destroy the market, don’t go with it because the minute collectors start asking those prices it will be a sad day.

Lasonic TRC-920

Feb 16, 2010
Naples, Italy
docs said:
Redchenko... delusional person trying to destroy the market, don’t go with it because the minute collectors start asking those prices it will be a sad day.
Yeah, that guy is waiting for a late night drunken click/sale. No boombox is worth $10k. Sorry.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Yeah what Chris said. Holiday of a lifetime, new car or bike or a boombox? Yeah i will spend 10k on the car thanks...

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
If I could get ten grand for my collection I would blow at least a few hundred bucks on hookers that way I get pussy I should a got from my collection lol .

I mean wtf good is a collection if you can't school these young UN's and get pussy of bedazzled women in process.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
BassHead said:
Even if it were new in box, after sitting for 35+ years, wouldn't the belts and other elastomers be gone gone!
That is correct! Plus some lubricants will dry up.

Natural rubber belts were used in many of those boxes in those times. In 1966 we had Akai reel to reel player at home and within a few months those belts elongated and went bad. Now synthetic rubber (mainly acrylic) is used that makes a huge difference.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Hisrudeness said:
No, It’s going to sit on eBay for years like a fishing line with old mouldy bait. Complete waste of everyone’s time.
:lol: Agree

Also, I was never into new unopened vintage stuff. First off, I highly doubt any radio truly sat unused in its box for over 30 years without being turned on, tested, etc.. Even if it was unused in over 30 years, you know it's not going to work properly. Maybe the radio (at best).

I would rather get a restored (known working) example that has been used mildly over the years.

Truth is, there are those who enjoy the idea that they own something that (supposedly) has never been used. They are comfortable paying out the rear and owning something that they truly don't even know will work.

IMO that is absurd. Use the dang thing. It was meant to be heard not boxed and hidden. At least show it on a shelf but to each their own.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Jan 1, 2014
South East London UK
T-STER said:
Yeah what Chris said. Holiday of a lifetime, new car or bike or a boombox? Yeah i will spend 10k on the car thanks...
Even if the seller is hoping for a millionaire wealthy type, these people aren’t rich because they do stupid things like paying 10 grand for an old Lasonic!