Look what I got for free

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
This motherfooker here a 1997 Suzuki gsxr 750.
It runs but needs a **** ton of body work and new tires. Unfortunately the owner was recently killed while riding another bike and his wife wanted it gone. This thing has some nice custom parts on it too.
IMG_20190608_192251.jpgIMG_20190608_192215.jpg

IMG_20190608_192153.jpg

At the end of the day this bike came at the ultimate price because the guy who built it is no longer with us , sad to say if I didn't get it , it would rot in place the only reason I got it was because of my best friend Tj the thrash man , it was his nephew bike.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
The wife didn't want to give it away to just anybody but Tj said my brother from another mother will take good care if it.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
Beautiful bike. A friend of mine used to have a GSXR 750 Slingshot, he still says he regrets selling it. That's a great bike hold on to her.

ford93

Member (SA)
May 7, 2009
Former New Yorker
Got yourself a nice project to work on Floyd.

Hey document (pics) the project as it progress that would be cool to see it become from a non contender to a heavy weight!!

Cool score!!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Hell yeah Floyd! Dang man! While I'm sorry to hear of the previous owners sacrifice, that's a great gift dude! Makes me want to ride down, help with any repairs and we could both go for a rip. My buddy had a SRAD. The gearing was only slightly different than my Suzuki RF but that is a fun little bike. You will have lots of fun ripping on that thing. They are good wheelie machines too and they'll scream.

The only fault (same with my model) is usually 2nd gear. Coming out of 1st (since you have to skip past neutral) the cogs get worn and sometimes they want to pop out of 2nd into neutral again on hard pulls. I back-cut my cogs which makes neutral hard to lock but it solved that issue for me. If the previous owner drove hard, he may have already performed that procedure.

Congratulations. You'll have lots of fun on that. They make enough power to be scary if you keep your wrist bent on the throttle long enough :-)

MyOhMy

Member (SA)
Jul 26, 2015
Sleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.
As nice as this bike may be, you'd never get me on one of those things again. The one and only ride for me was as a passenger in 1974 and it's an experience I do not wish to repeat, even to this day I remember how it felt as I was as white as a ghost & shaking with fear and only a physical check confirmed whether or not the ride ended as a bit of a brown pants moment. Never, ever again. :nonono: :sick:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
MyOhMy said:
As nice as this bike may be, you'd never get me on one of those things again. The one and only ride for me was as a passenger in 1974 and it's an experience I do not wish to repeat, even to this day I remember how it felt as I was as white as a ghost & shaking with fear and only a physical check confirmed whether or not the ride ended as a bit of a brown pants moment. Never, ever again. :nonono: :sick:
I had the exact same experience but it never affected my love of bikes , it taught me to be very selective of who I get on a bike with.

Transistorized said:
Hell yeah Floyd! Dang man! While I'm sorry to hear of the previous owners sacrifice, that's a great gift dude! Makes me want to ride down, help with any repairs and we could both go for a rip. My buddy had a SRAD. The gearing was only slightly different than my Suzuki RF but that is a fun little bike. You will have lots of fun ripping on that thing. They are good wheelie machines too and they'll scream.

The only fault (same with my model) is usually 2nd gear. Coming out of 1st (since you have to skip past neutral) the cogs get worn and sometimes they want to pop out of 2nd into neutral again on hard pulls. I back-cut my cogs which makes neutral hard to lock but it solved that issue for me. If the previous owner drove hard, he may have already performed that procedure.

Congratulations. You'll have lots of fun on that. They make enough power to be scary if you keep your wrist bent on the throttle long enough :-)
Thanks brother , I don't know **** about this bike lol but I wasn't going to turn it down .
as far as was told by friends of the owner the only problems it ever had was it bogged down at high rpm and they said it had something to do with him switching the gas tank. I'll take any help or advice I can get , I didnt notice any problems but I haven't really messed with it because I only got it yesterday and I got drunk with the people who gave me the bike lol.

This ain't my first square dance , I been riding these things since I was 15. Been though several crashes and wrecks on these mother fookers too lol.

You have to respect these things and not act a fool cause you will get bit .

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Way to go floyd lad, im with my oh my...no bikes for me lol, i once went in a bike with side car and the bike went one way and me the other lol....she looks great though better than any boombox or hifi and damn for free :cool:

MesaAZGuy

Member (SA)
Nice bike Floyd! Looks to be in really good shape overall. Like anything in life, we all take risks even walking down the street. When your time is up, it's up. Until then, we all prod along doing the best we can to enjoy life in each of our timeline's. I personally, never rode aggressively and its been a few years. The itch is coming back. My wife would agree as long as the bike has a huge back seat or it has three wheels. Living in AZ is a motorcyclists dream for the most part. I would pull the trigger but I can't even afford a decent radio on eBay! LOL

Either way, ride safe and enjoy it!

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Wow, always nice to get free toys! I completely understand her wanting to get rid of something that reminded her of her husband's death. Listing it and selling it, and dealing with all the punks and squids coming to check it out, would have just added unnecessary headache.

Speaking as someone who's ridden sportbikes for almost 20 years, I would recommend getting the frame checked for straightness if you plan on riding it at highway speeds. The reason I say that is, it's possible it's a crashed bike. The fairings were not orange from the factory, and I don't believe the frame had a polished surface either. A lot of riders do those 2 things to a bike after they crash, to hide the damage...……….. before passing the bike on to the next guy without telling them.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Yeah I never saw a gsxr with a polished frame either. You can bet that it will be thoroughly inspected before I ride it anywhere, I have another bike to ride so its not a rush , I do what I can myself then it goes to cycles USA for new tires and inspection.

MesaAZGuy said:
Nice bike Floyd! Looks to be in really good shape overall. Like anything in life, we all take risks even walking down the street. When your time is up, it's up. Until then, we all prod along doing the best we can to enjoy life in each of our timeline's. I personally, never rode aggressively and its been a few years. The itch is coming back. My wife would agree as long as the bike has a huge back seat or it has three wheels. Living in AZ is a motorcyclists dream for the most part. I would pull the trigger but I can't even afford a decent radio on eBay! LOL

Either way, ride safe and enjoy it!
Thank you I wished I lived someplace I could ride year round away from traffic. I would ride it to save money on gas lol.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Well look at that. I know nothing about bikes, but that would still be a fun project.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
The biggest bike I rode was 1400 cc this one is a bit more than half that lol.

My Honda xr 600 dirt bike would smoke most sport bikes in the quarter mile. I had to get rid of it because kicking it to start it was killing me lol.

Jonas32

Member (SA)
Jun 10, 2019
Richmond, VA
Wow, you are really lucky! This summer I found a gsrx 1000 when I was dealing with some real estate business in Nice. I had a house for sale in Côte d'Azur and one guy offered me his bike as down payment. It was less than half-price and in a very good shape but I already had two and didn't want to take the trouble of selling it later so I had to refuse. Now I'm feeling like an idiot though lol.