Problems with my gf-535

HRLE92

Member (SA)
Mar 22, 2019
Hi, guys. My Sharp gf-535 is now having some problems. When I play tape on it, the right speaker sounds muffled, and the tweeter on that side does not work. But when I use my Sony Car Connecting Pack (Which is a tape with a 3.5 mm plug), the right woofer works fine and the tweeter works. However, the VU meters always show a greater level on the left side than on the right side. But the box works without any problem with line in. Any idea of what happened in the box?

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
Maybe the heads are out of alignment, or you can press play/ record a few times in a row to work the record bar if its dirty.

Gluecifer

Member (SA)
May 6, 2009
Belmont, Australia
A bit of a tip is to make sure the tape you're using works correctly on another deck too.
i've been caught afoul of this, adjusting heads to make the tape I was using sound right then when I put in another tape it was out of whack.

Try to test with a few tapes at varying positions, and both sides.

Good luck!

Rock On.

Superduper

Member (SA)
In my experience, tape heads rarely go out of alignment, and certainly not suddenly. If off, it’s usually because someone tinkered with them. When set at the factory, the adjustment screws are fixed in place with setting compound so they don’t just “drift” from that position. Heads that are magnetized will lack treble and sound muffled. The fact that you are getting proper sound using the cassette adapter sort of reinforces that maybe head is magentized but working fine otherwise, because the adapter doesn't rely on a moving magnetic tape to pass sound and therefore, magnetized head probably won't affect the adapter since there's no tape.

Therefore, I suggest you consider other possibilities first before tweaking head alignment.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Clean heads pinch roller and shaft thoroughly before adjusting the heads....this is quite often even from respected members