SHARP GF 800 buying advice

Alpha Mike

Member (SA)
May 16, 2019
SI
Hey guys, your help and advice needed.
I can get this Sharp for 25-30Euros. It is in preety good shape with no big scuffs and wear. Sound and radio reception is superb. Only and I know big flow are stuck tape buttons. I dont know if motor turns. Some say it is just a thing of belts replacements. What do I do? Take it as it is and store it in basement or hope that problem is in belts and take it anyway or is better to pass this deal? Thanks for any answers or advice.

Attachments

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
It was already suggested that it's a good deal, what else do you want to know?
Stuck buttons, bad motor, bad belts, it can all be fixed if you're willing to try.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Or not - a lot of people sell radios they don't know the value of. I own plenty of "too good to be true" boxes :yes:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
caution said:
Or not - a lot of people sell radios they don't know the value of. I own plenty of "too good to be true" boxes :yes:
I bought a Toshiba rt sx 1000/for $50.00 plus shipping from a newbie. I was surprised it worked out because I been burnt twice lol.

Alpha Mike

Member (SA)
May 16, 2019
SI
She is home!! Cant believe quality! boss sound out of speakers. Like described in add tape functions don't work. Doors don't open. And it is not turning tape. But all other functions work. Happy

EDIT: Looks like Tape 1 is working, just door wont open. Is this maybe connected with Tape 2 stuck and not working? Any gf-800 owners here?

EDIT: Clock fixed. it just needed battery change 1xAA. It is accesible from main battery compartment.

Attachments

nikonfoo

Member (SA)
Jan 27, 2015
Well done
I dont have one but Id say belts and that the tape mech isn't resetting because they have gone bad

jimmyjimmy19702010

Member (SA)
May 5, 2012
Sunny Brisbane, Australia
Very good condition on that one - you often see this model bashed to hell. It’s from the era when manufacturers felt it important to label every single detail for extra marketing punch and bling. :-)

Should have some good power and that 3 piece sound quality. :rock:

Get to those decks and replace the belts, lube etc and you’ll have a 100% working Sharp powerhouse.

Jimmy..... :-)

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
That's a MELF resistor missing its ceramic shell and one of its electrodes. Weird that there's no solder on the remaining electrode. It may have overheated and popped off a board inside, or it's left over from a prior repair. Or, it fell inside from when its previous owner tossed it after yanking it from a different unit getting repaired.

Alpha Mike

Member (SA)
May 16, 2019
SI
caution said:
That's a MELF resistor missing its ceramic shell and one of its electrodes. Weird that there's no solder on the remaining electrode. It may have overheated and popped off a board inside, or it's left over from a prior repair. Or, it fell inside from when its previous owner tossed it after yanking it from a different unit getting repaired.
Thx for info! For which function its this element used? I can not find any flaws accept tape belts.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Alpha Mike said:
Thx for info! For which function its this element used? I can not find any flaws accept tape belts.
From what I can see in the service manual the GF800 doesn't use leadless resistors like that, so it probably fell in there from somewhere else.

I used to see these used as tiny fuses in the plugs of some Christmas lights, it may have fallen out of something like that.

Alpha Mike

Member (SA)
May 16, 2019
SI
@Caution thx for your knowledge too!

Any of you guys know what kind of foam is used inside speakers cover. In mines is pretty rotten. If you touch it it crumbles.What kind of replacement foam should I buy? Maybe even choose black color?