Introduction & Philips D8880

ikonw8

Member (SA)
May 20, 2019
Hello!

I am new to Boomboxery. I current am growing my collection and I have a Sony CFS-501 and a Sanyo M9970K. I really enjoy rescuing these devices, cleaning them up and bringing them back to life. I especially like devices that have line-in and out, since they can form the basis of a small stereo system, which I think is pretty cool.

I have an opportunity to pickup a Philips D8880 - a CD / Tape combo unit. But, both the CD player and the cassette deck are not working. It seems to be an early CD portable, since it is a vertical loader, probably 1986/87?

Question: does anyone know much about this unit? Are they rare? I can't seem to find much about this unit online.

Thank you!

I realized I wrote D8800. I meant D8880.

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Welcome aboard iknow8! The boombox bug has bitten you as well....

Rescuing and restoring a boombox is one of the most rewarding exercises and benefits you and the environment. It's a win for everyone!

Enjoy your time here!

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Welcome,I like the look of the Philips D8880 generally this brand has good speakers and amps but tape decks are troublesome.

ikonw8

Member (SA)
May 20, 2019
Thanks everyone!

I picked up the D8880. Very impressed with the CD Player's sound, cassette deck is ok. I love the looks.

It still had 8 D Cells in it, long perished - and leaking. Fortunately, did not leak into any of the electronics.

Seems to be something oily leaking at the bottom, not sure what it is yet.

Update once I have cracked it open.

ikonw8

Member (SA)
May 20, 2019
Yes, it's been fun restoring this. The oil seems to have come from the cassette door damping mechanism. It has one, but there is no damping happening right now!

The leak seemed to have originated in that location.

Any sources or instruction on how to replace the damping fluid?

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
ikonw8 said:
Yes, it's been fun restoring this. The oil seems to have come from the cassette door damping mechanism. It has one, but there is no damping happening right now!

The leak seemed to have originated in that location.

Any sources or instruction on how to replace the damping fluid?
I would suggest starting a topic in the appropriate Tech Talk section. It would most likely get more exposure there. :yes: