3D models for Tecsonic J-1 battery covers

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
In addition to the main battery cover, there is a second, smaller cover for the clock battery compartment.

Main cover:

Clock battery cover:

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Your skill in 3D modelling is extraordinary, caution. You know, once in a while one comes across a boombox being sold on eBay with a battery bay lid that is lighter in colour than the rest of the rear panel (or underside or whatever) of the portable unit.

Of course, the lighter-coloured "snap in" lid could be from a lighter-coloured model of the same brand. Or from a lighter-coloured model of another brand. (James Craven Pierce, AKA DecentMan4you, once demoed the interchangeability of a battery lid for several boomboxes' battery bays. It was in a YouTube video that he apparently filmed to answer a question of mine, here or on Stereo2Go. The portable units were face down as he clicked a single battery lid into place, lifted it out and then snapped it into place over another boombox's battery bay.)

Anyway, I now wonder, could those pale-hued battery bay covers have been 3D printed by our caution before helping to sell an Aiwa, a Sony or the like? Thanks for sharing and advising.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Thanks Si!

PostEnder said:
Your skill in 3D modelling is extraordinary, caution. You know, once in a while one comes across a boombox being sold on eBay with a battery bay lid that is lighter in colour than the rest of the rear panel (or underside or whatever) of the portable unit.

Of course, the lighter-coloured "snap in" lid could be from a lighter-coloured model of the same brand. Or from a lighter-coloured model of another brand. (James Craven Pierce, AKA DecentMan4you, once demoed the interchangeability of a battery lid for several boomboxes' battery bays. It was in a YouTube video that he apparently filmed to answer a question of mine, here or on Stereo2Go. The portable units were face down as he clicked a single battery lid into place, lifted it out and then snapped it into place over another boombox's battery bay.)

Anyway, I now wonder, could those pale-hued battery bay covers have been 3D printed by our caution before helping to sell an Aiwa, a Sony or the like? Thanks for sharing and advising.
The difference in color you has to do with the presence or absence of flame-retardant bromines in the plastic, which break down over time from heat and UV light and turns yellow. I don't know why smaller parts used retardant-free ABS. It could be that brominated ABS is necessary to pass UL regs only to certain percentages - some amount of the product can lack retardants and still get the OK, so, smaller parts are made with cheaper non-brominated ABS. Check out this link on how it is removed. I've done it, it works great.

I do not own a printer, I let the pros do that :-D

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Thanks Bill! Here's a shot of them installed on a box.

The covers were done in a nylon powder (SLS) but the graininess of it actually enhanced the look to match the box better.
Originally the main cover's clips were a little too weak, even though they were designed just as the original cover was.

This was likely from the material being a little softer than the original part material, ABS. So, I added more material in the flex point and raised the clip hook. Now it is actually too stiff and needed a touch of sanding to get perfect.