RX-C39 Not Recording

May 8, 2019
Alright, so I found an RX-C39 for a steal a while ago.
It's been working really well, so now I don't have to worry about ruining my tapes in a disgusting cheap-o cassette player.

Only problem that I can't find a solution to is the fact that it cannot record to a blank tape.
I don't really have a way to get a manual at the moment, so it might just be best for me to wait until I can; but I figured I'd check here to see if anyone has a solution.

Looking in the machine, it seems like there's a large white plastic... thing, like a large lever, and it's blocking the record mechanism. All I get is a soft whirr from the motor; the tape doesn't spin, nothing happens. I'm not sure what the purpose of that white piece is, or if it just won't accept a line-in to record, but it's a little frustrating to say the least.

If anyone has some suggestions or info, that would be amazing!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
anything_not_taken_yet said:
Alright, so I found an RX-C39 for a steal a while ago.
It's been working really well, so now I don't have to worry about ruining my tapes in a disgusting cheap-o cassette player.

Only problem that I can't find a solution to is the fact that it cannot record to a blank tape.
I don't really have a way to get a manual at the moment, so it might just be best for me to wait until I can; but I figured I'd check here to see if anyone has a solution.

Looking in the machine, it seems like there's a large white plastic... thing, like a large lever, and it's blocking the record mechanism. All I get is a soft whirr from the motor; the tape doesn't spin, nothing happens. I'm not sure what the purpose of that white piece is, or if it just won't accept a line-in to record, but it's a little frustrating to say the least.

If anyone has some suggestions or info, that would be amazing!
Did you break the tabs at the bottom of your blank cassette tape? It will not record without breaking the tabs.

May 8, 2019
The tape is totally fine, that was the first thing I checked before posting because I've heard of that happening quite a bit.
The problem definitely seems to be with the mechanism. When it's recording, it can't spin the tape. I actually decided to see what happened when I removed that plastic thing that was blocking it, and everything started spinning just fine. I'm just not really sure that removing a component is the solution haha

May 8, 2019
Update: I've got a video uploaded now to better show the problem that I'm dealing with, since it's probably easier to just show it.

https://youtu.be/Nxnt6LmbbCI

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
That plastic piece you removed activates the internal record bar. You will definitely need that in place. You might have to go deeper in your disassembly as there might be some kind of leaf switch not being activated or perhaps an obstruction preventing that plastic piece from moving fully.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
^^^I agree with Fatdog^^^

This looks as if the actuator to record bar is off track somehow (binding?) or the belt may be slipping due to the increase in torque required to engage the record bar slider. If you know that the belt is new and of the correct size then a binding situation exists. I notice you keep applying your index finger to the play head slide bar each time. Is this required to have it properly engage? If you do not do this, does it bind? If so, that would indicate worn plastic channel slides and or lack of lubrication.

I've seen odd scenarios where if the deck and/or circuit board have been removed and reinstalled, that sometimes the mounting screw holes in the PCB and deck have enough play in them to where, when put back together, there is a little wiggle room/play in the slot holes where the screws secure the boards and deck mounts. If the deck or the PCB is secured slightly shifted to an already tight tolerance, it can get too tight and cause binding.

Other times it can be the relationship between how the mechanism engages the plastic 'arm'. Some decks simply have a metal foot that presses on the arm. Others have a slotted channel that requires proper alignment to engage correctly. The models with springs are the most forgiving however since this model relies completely on mechanical levers tolerances are critical.

Also check the record bar on the PCB. Does it move freely or does it feel like its binding. This covers all the bases... :lol:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Fatdog said:
That plastic piece you removed activates the internal record bar. You will definitely need that in place. You might have to go deeper in your disassembly as there might be some kind of leaf switch not being activated or perhaps an obstruction preventing that plastic piece from moving fully.
Listen to Fatdog!

:yes: See what is causing that obstruction.