• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:24 AM

So I’ve been around here for a fair few years now and for various reasons I’ve moved house a few times and had to set up a new boom room each time. Each time I’ve shared pics of it on here.

Well I’m moving again!

But this time it’s properly awesome!

I went a bit crazy and bought a house and a bit of land at auction without even stepping foot inside the house lol. It’s a 200+ year old cottage with an acre of land in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It’s a big old cottage that needs a bit of work but an acre is a lot of land in the UK, most house plots are tiny in this little country (we have the smallest houses in Europe apparently).

So guess who’s gonna build himself a big fook off barn and fit it out as boombox heaven?!!!! Yep ME!!!

The best bit is that I got an absolute bargain at auction...sometimes you do, sometimes you don’t. I was prepared to max out at over double what I paid so that gives you an idea!

The final money should be transferred in the next few days and then it’s all mine! Gotta do the house first then when our existing house is sold and we release some more money up goes the barn!
Attached File  ABBF0AF8-5805-43E4-8A5E-3F042E53B304.jpeg   146.84K   3 downloads

#2 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,699 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

How far away is this new place?  You know, a lot of these old boomboxes shouldn't travel too far at their age.  :-D :lol:

Congratulations, Si!

#3 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 03 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

It’s only about 90 minutes away. They’ll be wrapped and well protected in my van...I’m moving them, no one else is allowed lol

#4 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

Been following progress and am super stoked to see this came together, amazing spot, a ton of space, this could be epic!!!!

#5 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

Thanks Tre, yeh it’s been a journey lol. Should be a good venue for a meet :-)

#6 MyOhMy

MyOhMy
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,506 posts
  • LocationSleaford, Lincolnshire, UK.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Wowser, you could hold a BB Woodstock in a place like that!   :w00t:   Congrats by the ton, I know house renovation can be full of nasty surprises with a nightmare or two thrown in but I sincerely hope yours is free from all forms of hassle.  When's the Mammoth Meet, huh?!  :-D

#7 Fatdog

Fatdog
  • Administrators
  • 10,699 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee, U.S.A.

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

They’ll be wrapped and well protected in my van...I’m moving them, no one else is allowed lol

Yes! :thumbsup:

#8 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

Wowser, you could hold a BB Woodstock in a place like that! :w00t: Congrats by the ton, I know house renovation can be full of nasty surprises with a nightmare or two thrown in but I sincerely hope yours is free from all forms of hassle. When's the Mammoth Meet, huh?! :-D

Thanks Christine!

I’ve renovated a similar 200+ old stone built building before where I had to rip absolutely everything out down to bare stone on my own. This one is in much better condition and I’ve got a builder friend to help me this time so it should be lots easier. Fingers crossed anyway!

And yeh I think a boombox festival would be awesome :-)

#9 im_alan_partridge

im_alan_partridge
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 04 May 2019 - 03:09 AM

Nice one Si, looks like a great plot of land :thumbsup:

#10 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

That's awesome !.
Nothing better than your own piece of land. I have 3 acre's myself and its surrounded by woods on all 4 sides.

#11 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

Thanks Dave :-)

That's awesome !.
Nothing better than your own piece of land. I have 3 acre's myself and its surrounded by woods on all 4 sides.

Never owned anything bigger than a garden before so pretty pleased with this. Gonna be fun

#12 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

Thanks Dave :-)

That's awesome !.

Never owned anything bigger than a garden before so pretty pleased with this. Gonna be fun
when I left home I went from 3 acres plus the woods I used to roam to a townhouses where the yard was smaller than our shed at home .

I think its great I'm happy for you . the main house on my land is 110 years old lol . I live in a garage house I built about 18 years ago behind the house.

#13 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:21 AM

Gotta love a bit of space and a bit of distance from the rat race :-)

#14 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,042 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Congratulations Simon. I hope you post the progress of this epic build. I really enjoy these things. It will be great to have all your toys out and properly displayed!  :rock:  

#15 docs

docs
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

Boom
Looking forward to it 👍💥

#16 samovar

samovar
  • Members (SA)
  • 236 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

Of course there won't be any boom room at all. Come on Si, you can tell us -- you already have the blueprint for the B-box district :w00t: 

#17 T-STER

T-STER
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,130 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:12 AM

Of course there won't be any boom room at all. Come on Si, you can tell us -- you already have the blueprint for the B-box district :w00t:

Sal !!!! Hope you're well bro :-D  :-D

#18 Brutus442

Brutus442
  • Members (SA)
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

The Italian connection returns!

Sal, you've been missed my friend...welcome home! :thumbsup:

#19 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:29 AM

Boomboxville?...got a nice ring to it

Hi Sal! :-)

#20 Lasonic TRC-920

Lasonic TRC-920
  • Moderators
  • 14,042 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:33 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: No matter how big his Boombox Barn is, he will fill it  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Can't wait  :clap:

#21 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

Well there are probably 150 to go in already...and a dozen vintage bicycles...and vintage gaming stuff...and an arcade machine...a few one armed bandits...a pinball machine...a jukebox...etc etc

Mmm maybe I need a bigger barn 🤔

#22 im_alan_partridge

im_alan_partridge
  • Members (SA)
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

You could actually start housing a few retro cars in a plot that big :yes:

#23 Brutus442

Brutus442
  • Members (SA)
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:33 PM

This sounds like an exciting adventure Si. Keep us posted on the progression and take lots of pics. 

If only you had some means of playing some tunes during the work..... :hmmm:  :hmmm:  :-P

#24 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

Go with a steel building , basically once you pour the slab you can have it up in no time and much cheaper than a wooden building.

#25 Van Presence

Van Presence
  • Members (SA)
  • 463 posts
  • LocationParnassus, NZ

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

Good times. Your cottage is older than New Zealand. 😀

#26 JVC Floyd

JVC Floyd
  • Boomus Fidelis
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

Trust me a steel buildings is the way to go , if I could go back in time I could have had a bad ass steel building that's a hella lot more fire resistance than what I have now.

The metal roof last a lifetime the only thing is you have to ground the roof and the building with heavy awg wire and at least an 8 foot ground rod.

#27 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:29 AM

Yep I’m planning on a steel frame as I want big and airy and I don’t want to accidentally burn it down. Function is far more important to me than aesthetics plus this is a farming area so a steel agricultural barn is a common sight. I’ll probably get someone to do the structure then I’ll do the fun part of fitting it out. All depends on cost, though once we sell the existing house I’ll have enough no worries

You could actually start housing a few retro cars in a plot that big :yes:

You read my mind. Never restored a car but always s wanted to :-)

#28 JT Techno

JT Techno
  • Members (SA)
  • 107 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK

Posted 07 May 2019 - 06:00 PM

Wowsers - I've been away from here for a bit and things have moved on somewhat - a boombarn - looking forward to seeing progress on this! How's it going Si? Long time, no speak! :-)

#29 Northerner

Northerner
  • Members (SA)
  • 4,819 posts
  • LocationNorth East UK

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

Wowsers - I've been away from here for a bit and things have moved on somewhat - a boombarn - looking forward to seeing progress on this! How's it going Si? Long time, no speak! :-)

Wow hi Jon, thought you’d died or been abducted by aliens! Lol. Good to see you back :-)

#30 samovar

samovar
  • Members (SA)
  • 236 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:40 AM

Sal !!!! Hope you're well bro :-D  :-D

Hi Tre, yeah I may disappear at times, but I always bounce back! :w00t:

The Italian connection returns!

Sal, you've been missed my friend...welcome home! :thumbsup:

Thanks my dear dear friend, I'm alive and kickin', and I'm back! :-)

Boomboxville?...got a nice ring to it

Hi Sal! :-)

The Boomboxville Project, yeah! Here's a quick guide to its development :lol: