New gear for Philips / Magnavox Boombox

DataPro

Apr 16, 2019
Hello,

I have some Philips / Magnavox / Schneider ... boombox with the famous gear of the dead, made of orange nylon that break into pieces after years.

I plan to find a cheap way to have new gear without 3D printing.

But I need some help to be sure to have the right dimensions.

For D8008 and D8304 I have 3 gear to replace :

for each 2mm axial hole
single gear :
- 19mm 36 teeth
- 22mm 41 teeth
double gear
- 23mm helical 39 teeth 20° - 6mm 14 teeth
I miss the height of the double gear.

Do you think I am correct ?

(it's not my gear, mine is wear and broken)

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Welcome aboard, DP! That Magnavox gear is the subject of many nightmares. There was a member here (a few years ago) who recreated the gears and sold them on ebay. His forum name is VintageVolts. Perhaps you can send him a PM (personal message) and see if he still makes the gears.

Another option is to find a Magnavox/Philips D7240 mono boombox. It uses the same gear, but the gear is made from a different, stronger material that is less susceptible to breaking.

DataPro

Apr 16, 2019
Reactions: dubout

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
I have bought and used those gears in a few boomboxes now. No complaints until now although you can hear the gears in quiet parts of the music sometimes. Maybe I should have greased them.
Also the seller sent me the wrong gears three times once. With shipping times of two to three weeks from Poland that was no fun. But hassle free and without charge so the seller is a good guy I would say.

All in all I would (and did) recommend the gears to others as the material is pretty strong.