Squeaky noise

donahuest

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
London, Ontario
Hello. I was hoping someone can help me with a squeaky noise coming from my tape deck on my pioneer sk-700. It plays fine but has a somewhat intermittent squeaky noise that gets loud at times. Don’t know if it’s coming from the capstan or rubber rollers? I was going to try to oil or lube without taking it apart again but not sure what to use? I have some machine oils that vary in viscosity? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really like the sound of this pioneer.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
You might want to also look at the backing plate that covers the main flywheel , there's usually a bushing that keeps pressure on the flywheel.

donahuest

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
London, Ontario
Ok thanks. I’ll check that when I get home. I’ll post a video of the noise when I get home from work, which will show it better than my description

donahuest

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
London, Ontario
I think it might be capstan making squeaky noise as it turns. Sure sounds like a squeaky wheel. I think I had that problem with record bar before but it was making more of a constant squeal. Have a listen to video and let me know what you think. Assuming it’s the capstan what would i lube or oil it with? Thanks.
https://youtu.be/7AzQV-8Hmlo

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
I recommend taking it back apart as it’s not a good idea just squirting oil inside as it will ruin belts. Sounds like metal on metal which is usually capstan and the metal around or holding down. Could be in the shaft of capstan. Good luck!!!

donahuest

Member (SA)
May 4, 2018
London, Ontario
Thanks Bill, Thought you might say that. I’ve taken it apart twice already so shouldn’t be too bad. I should have cleaned it better when I had it open the first time but I was so geeked I got it running and I couldn’t wait to get it back together. Once I open her up what do you recommend I use on the capstan area? Do I just clean with alcohol or should I live it as well. I’m a little confused what I would use to oil or grease. Thanks again, you guys are the best.