Sharp gf-535/gf-9000 and Sanyo M-X920

HRLE92

Member (SA)
Mar 22, 2019
In these attached pictures are one of my Sharp gf-535s and my Sanyo M-X920.

I got one of the gf-535 for approximately 300USD and the second one for about $25 and about $75 on shipping because it is international shipping from Japan and the package weighs 11kg. I got the Sanyo for about 170 USD.

I bought the second gf-535 for parts to repair the first one, especially to repair the broken woofer protector on the left woofer. The second one have just a few problems other than the broken woofer protector. Its VU meter on one side always points to the max while the other one points to the minimum when the radio is on. The controls are scratchy, and it has noise when using line in.

The Sanyo came with everything intact. It came with some line jack covers and a sticker on the cassette door. I suspect that they are not original but I honestly do not know. There were a few scratches and it smelled like some sort of berries. So I assume that the former owner, who sold it to me and have tried to fix it in the past 7 years, smoked e-cigarettes. It was 170 dollars because it hardly works. The only input that works is the line in, while one of the jacks do not receive any signals. (It makes no difference when I unplugged the line from that channel) I makes lots of noise even when there is nothing playing. The volume on each channel are not the same and are low. Volume control works. Loudness works, VU meters works, Bass and Treble works. Balance works weirdly. The music search indicator works (They do light up and the light jump from one to another when I press the key beside them.) The keys for controlling cassette player does not work. Other than these problems, it is overall a beautiful box. The front is covered with nice metal panels. Switches and buttons feels very nice. The tuner is fly-wheel weighted. The dustcaps on the woofers are shiny and huge. Everything on it showed its nobility. This box is so delicate that no other electronics today can compare to it. Sadly, though, I have no idea on whether these problems can be fixed. I have packed it in bubble wrap in order to prevent myself from open it up and mess up all the wires and mechanisms. I am going to try to find someone to repair it soon.

Comparing the Sharp and the Sanyo, the sanyo is much better than the Sharp in every way. And this statement makes sense, because Sharp had the gf-535 to attract the youths. Its retail price is 69,800 yen while the Sanyo's retail price was 99,800 yen. It was supposed to look cool to attract these young people with these 20 cm woofers. But the Sanyo was a high-end product. It was for people who is wise enough that do not need 8 inch woofers and a pair of shiny and exaggerated woofer protectors. If the Sharp is the VW Golf GTI, the Sanyo would be the Phaeton.

Oh, by the way, our well-known Sharp-gf-909 and gf-919's retail price was 118,000, the JVC RC-M90's retail price was 99,800 yen. I wonder why These JVCs would go more expensive than the Sharp gf-777s.

I know I have been talking about some nonsense and I sincerely ask you guys not to mind that. I apologize if this disturbs you in any way. I am just writing this because I do not feel like I am going to do homework and I have no one to chat with. My friends do not even know who L.L. Cool J. is.

Oh yeah, I would post the original catalogs if you guys wanted to see. I think it would score more if I hand this in instead of my English essay. lol. By the way I hate writing essays and I hate school.

Attachments

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
Welcome to the forum.

Those are a good start for collecting and certainly appear to be in good shape. Maybe you could listen to them while writing your essay ;-)

Cool boxes...and yes...everyone should know who LL Cool J is :-)

T-STER

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2014
UK
The 920 is one of the most beautiful boxes, great looker and well worth fixing

HRLE92

Member (SA)
Mar 22, 2019
ldairforce512 said:
That 920 looks good! I love the jap version most. Maybe i missed it. Are you in the states?
Yes. Thanks for reading! :-D

T-STER said:
The 920 is one of the most beautiful boxes, great looker and well worth fixing
Well... I will try to fix it, though it will be a hard job, because the previous owner has been trying to fix it in the past several years... Maybe I should find some professional guys to fix it for me. But I will try my best.

stereomad said:
Like the door sticker on the 920
All images of the Sanyo model I found online indicates that the sticker should be blue and white instead of red and white. So it is hardly possible that it is original. But it is better than nothing. :-)

goodman said:
:hi: to forum. Congrats for this nice boomboxes.
Thanks!

ldairforce512

Member (SA)
Mar 26, 2018
HH, Germany
Still can‘t find anything about your Location.
Yep whatever.
In Germany i could have linked you up with a guy who can handle the Sanyo decks.
Have fun.