Sleepless Nights....

Jetl3on

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
Never could afford one of these as a kid, but really enjoying the reading, learning and tinkering. The niggly issues and sleepless nights..... not as much fun.

Inspired by a comment I read on here that "the 777 is not exactly in short supply, as they were mass produced", I just had to go with the custom black/white scheme...

Thanks BB for the help bringing this ghettoblaster to life.

Fatdog

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Ooooh! :w00t: :w00t: :drool: :drool: I'm glad you were able to get it all sorted. Now, enjoy it loudly! :breakdance:

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Jun 19, 2012
USA
That does look good. I cant make out if the speakers are just aged and turned a brown or gold color or if that was planned. Either way everything pops on it. The speaker color is fantastic as well. If that's just years of patina, even better.

Timecop1987

Member (SA)
Jul 24, 2017
Nice work! I always liked the look of the GF-909/999 but could not read the lettering - but I never thought about modding a 777 - very cool!

I love the black finish mixed with those shiny chrome dustcaps :cool:

Jetl3on

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
Cheers gents.

It's not there yet, still a fair bit of midnight tinkering to do.

The first step was getting everything to work, then focus on sound quality. Never having had a 777 before, not sure what they are supposed to sound like. The speaker surrounds were replaced, but nervous about cranking it up, they are after-all 35year old components. I might try and test them individually before pushing my luck.

Timecop1987 said:
Nice work! I always liked the look of the GF-909/999 but could not read the lettering - but I never thought about modding a 777
This pretty much sums it up. The Japanese definitely got the nicer colour scheme. Considered trying to find a GF1000 and change the lettering, but that presented a different set of issues.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
i see something interesting. are the speakers different?
look at green arrow speaker suspension is standard - black.
look at red arrow speaker suspension is transparent.
or this is optical illusion???

Jetl3on

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
goodman said:
i see something interesting. are the speakers different?
look at green arrow speaker suspension is standard - black.
look at red arrow speaker suspension is transparent.
or this is optical illusion???

Well spotted.

Photo was taken before new surrounds were inserted.