• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jetl3on

Jetl3on
  • Members (SA)
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

Some advice please.

When toggling the tape/radio switch, it has no effect, the radio continually plays regardless of which option you choose. The switch itself is fixed to the board, so only applied contact cleaner at this stage, is there another mechanical/electrical option? 

Thx.

#2 hopey

hopey
  • Members (SA)
  • 398 posts
  • LocationMelb AU

Posted 25 March 2019 - 04:16 AM

can you post a photo you maybe able to dismantle and clean the internal contacts  of the switch . 

#3 Jetl3on

Jetl3on
  • Members (SA)
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:08 AM

Not sure if it is possible to dismantle by releasing those clips... and pray something  doesn't ping off into the distance.

32523633837_73c37a86c4_k.jpg

32523633607_9d249c0345_k.jpg

32523633347_cec17e4a3b_z.jpg

#4 hopey

hopey
  • Members (SA)
  • 398 posts
  • LocationMelb AU

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:19 AM

it can be taken apart I would remove all solder and remove from pcb. Then you can straighten the tabs to access the contacts, clean with alcohol reassemble. Take note of the pin /contact paths in all postions with a continuity setting of multimeter. Solder back on PCB.

#5 caution

caution
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,961 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:10 AM

I'd rule out other possibilities like a cracked trace or solder joint before you tear apart the switch. Maybe just remove the switch, but bridge the pads in the same way the switch would short them for the tape mode. If it still plays radio, you know it's not the switch.

#6 Jetl3on

Jetl3on
  • Members (SA)
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:43 AM

I'd rule out other possibilities like a cracked trace or solder joint before you tear apart the switch. Maybe just remove the switch, but bridge the pads in the same way the switch would short them for the tape mode. If it still plays radio, you know it's not the switch.

Just so I understand, identify which points on the pcb activates the tape, stick a wire between points and test?

it can be taken apart I would remove all solder and remove from pcb. Then you can straighten the tabs to access the contacts, clean with alcohol reassemble. Take note of the pin /contact paths in all postions with a continuity setting of multimeter. Solder back on PCB.

Is replacing pcb components typically straightforward? Desolder, remove, clean, insert, solder. Nothing else to consider?

What is a trace and how do you check it?

#7 docs

docs
  • Members (SA)
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:11 AM

Yes, I would jump the appropriate pads with the switch still in the board to see if you suddenly get the desired effect. This will tell you if the switch has faulty traces or if it's fine.

#8 Josh9994

Josh9994
  • Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:37 PM

I had the same problem, it was in the mixing switch. It cleared up after some deoxit. Hope you get it all figured out!