GF-777 - Tape/Radio selector bleed

Jetl3on

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
Some advice please.

When toggling the tape/radio switch, it has no effect, the radio continually plays regardless of which option you choose. The switch itself is fixed to the board, so only applied contact cleaner at this stage, is there another mechanical/electrical option?

Thx.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
can you post a photo you maybe able to dismantle and clean the internal contacts of the switch .

Jetl3on

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure if it is possible to dismantle by releasing those clips... and pray something doesn't ping off into the distance.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
it can be taken apart I would remove all solder and remove from pcb. Then you can straighten the tabs to access the contacts, clean with alcohol reassemble. Take note of the pin /contact paths in all postions with a continuity setting of multimeter. Solder back on PCB.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
I'd rule out other possibilities like a cracked trace or solder joint before you tear apart the switch. Maybe just remove the switch, but bridge the pads in the same way the switch would short them for the tape mode. If it still plays radio, you know it's not the switch.

Jetl3on

Member (SA)
Oct 31, 2017
caution said:
I'd rule out other possibilities like a cracked trace or solder joint before you tear apart the switch. Maybe just remove the switch, but bridge the pads in the same way the switch would short them for the tape mode. If it still plays radio, you know it's not the switch.

Just so I understand, identify which points on the pcb activates the tape, stick a wire between points and test?

hopey said:
it can be taken apart I would remove all solder and remove from pcb. Then you can straighten the tabs to access the contacts, clean with alcohol reassemble. Take note of the pin /contact paths in all postions with a continuity setting of multimeter. Solder back on PCB.
Is replacing pcb components typically straightforward? Desolder, remove, clean, insert, solder. Nothing else to consider?

What is a trace and how do you check it?

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes, I would jump the appropriate pads with the switch still in the board to see if you suddenly get the desired effect. This will tell you if the switch has faulty traces or if it's fine.

Josh9994

Member (SA)
Jan 6, 2019
AZ, USA
I had the same problem, it was in the mixing switch. It cleared up after some deoxit. Hope you get it all figured out!